New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First mead (from a while back)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2006, 11:54 PM   #1
D*Bo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First mead (from a while back)

Finally scrolled down past the beer section and saw the mead section last week, reminded me I've had one going since November.

I think I need to put the clarifier thru the mead soon so I can rack off one more time and bottle soon.

Since nobody around me has really done a mead (I haven't tasted one in a few years, well other than samples while transfering) I have a couple questions.

I know aging for close to a year is recommmended, if your fermentation temps allow.

How many times do you typically transfer, and when?
How long in do you add the clarifiers?
How long after adding the clarifiers do you let the mead sit? (usually min. of 48 hrs?)
What clarifiers do you use/recommend & why? I was trying to avoid the 2 part stuff for a while because it's a shell fish dirivitave and I had a friend who is severly allergic to shell fish.
What type of bottles do you use and where do you get them? I remember seeing some blue ones that took some corks that were about a 1/4" to 3/8" dia. that I thought would be nice, but I don't think my brew shop can get them, not a high demand item. Or at least not from one of his normal suppliers.

Drinking Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Dry Mead)
Up NextScottish ale and Dopple Bock

Always ready for the wack snack attack, I carry sandwiches around in a straight edge style JanSports backpack.

Support your local businesses

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply