The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First mead venture

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Germelli1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default First mead venture

I am looking into making mead. I have always been interested and now that I have a Rossi 4L jug as well as a 1 gallon to secondary, I am ready to go. I want a VERY simple recipe to begin, and I hope to build off of it in the future.

So for simplicity's sake here is what I am going to go with.

3 lbs local clover honey
~1 gallon of water
Yeast nutrient and energizer as called for.

Now is there any problem with a recipe this simple? I am really looking to have an unspiced mead to start with so it will tell me what my tastes desire in order to build off of it.

Thanks!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 20

You've described in essence the most basic mead recipe that all others are built off of...go for it!!!

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 10-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 1669

Yep, you're on the right track. Regards, GF.

Quick Reply