Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First mead (Vanilla)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
TheShadowfox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default First mead (Vanilla)

Hey everyone. I decided to get my brew journal up here finally.

On May 3rd 2012, I picked up 25 lbs of dark honey from my local apiary. I began working on the must later that night.

I found a good recipe that I've been wanting to work on for months now. http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?opt...=19&Itemid=459

I followed the recipe almost perfectly. I changed the amount of cinnamon and added an extra vanilla bean. Other than that, nothing extra went in, and nothing was taken out.

25lbs dark honey ( ! ) in two stages
2 Madagascar vanilla beans
30 allspice
30 cloves
2 1/2 sticks of cinnamon (all spices crushed and free in the must)
6 oz frozen Orange Juide Concentrate (pulp free) for citric acid
6 oz frozen Apple Juice Concentrate for malic acid
5 gallons water (spring water)
Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast

I first sterilized everything in a potent bleach and water solution, the 6 gallon carboy, the coffee grinder, the jugs of water, carboy bung and airlock, everything. I washed the bleach out thoroughly, and dumped in two gallons of the water. I added half of my honey (12 1/2 lbs) and sloshed it around a little with another gallon of water. I separated all my spices then ground them all up in a coffee grinder before I dumped them into the must. I finished adding the rest of the water and yeast. Then I put the juice concentrates into the carboy and closed it up with the airlock at the top. It's been bubbling ever since!

This is my first mead, and certainly my largest brewing endeavor. I am very interested in getting thoughts on this. This is just an experiment that I hope to do very well so I'm laid back about it, please be kind. Here is a link to my pics. http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...anilla%20mead/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
TheShadowfox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just saw my previous journal up. Sorry for the repost, it never popped up on the forums until a moment ago.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
ftonz
Recipes 

Default Nice one

This looks really good mate.
A fine job on your first mead.
I'm not sure about how many cloves and allspice went in, but I have never used either so I cant offer much help there.

I only wish my first batch was as intersting as this.
Keep us posted :-)

Old 05-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
zheol
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

from everything i have read 3-4 lbs pf honey per gallon your mead is gonna be a super sack mead. those cloves you put 30 whole cloves?.. from what i have read 1-2 cloves per gallon as they will over power everything Fast keep in mind i have yet to brew a mead im just repeating stuff i have read i hope all turns out well for you

Old 05-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It is definitely an ambitious project for your first mead but definitely doable. The kind of echo zheol, watch out for the cloves the go from nice spice to holy crap lots of spice to overpowering bitter hot spice real fast especially in large quantities. Maybe taste a small amount of your mead after daily aeration/degassing if it starts becoming pronounced pull them out, the flavor from them will strengthen some over time even after they are removed or racked off of.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
TheShadowfox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmm, why would the recipe call for 30 to be crushed and then free in the must? I took all of the seasonings and ran them through a coffee grinder. All 30 alspice, and all 30 cloves, all ground. o_o

Old 05-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

did it say cracked or ground?

It could be the balance since it is already a proven recipe with a TON of honey and juices so perhaps its tested and just works, kind of like JAOM, the combination, while from the outside looks like it would be a make it and wait a few years to drink type of brew just mysteriously works out to be pretty quickly a decent glass of mead.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #8
TheShadowfox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've added a small handful of torn apart raisins to the mead for flavor and extra nutrients. It's bubbling a little more now, prolly needed some more nitrogen.

I have a question, I'm going to be leaving my home for a little over a week. Will it be ok without nutes for a bit? Perhaps if I add another small hand full before I go it will act as a time release supplement?

Old 05-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #9
TheShadowfox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh, and it just says crushed, nothing else. :/ I was a little upset about the lack of specific instructions for this kind of mead. I'm thinking I will rack it when the time comes and just let it continue to ferment without any extra spices and then season to taste after all is said and done.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #10
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

aerate and feed it just before you leave and it'll occupy itself while youre away for a week with no problem.....good call on not adding anything when you rack it, it'll probably have some strong flavors and if it doesn't just do as you say, steep some spices at the end to get it to the level that tastes best to you.

Quick Reply