The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First Mead, time for secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Handler View Post
While in primary how often, if at all do you guys recommend stirring the must to reincorporate the lees?
Twice a day is my protocol. Gives me a chance to visually inspect.

In regards to using chocolate infused honey, simply bypass that and make a chocolate mead of your own. I have made several chocolate wines/meads and they are fabulous. Nothing like a commercial chocolate wine, ick. You can go as simple as adding one cup of Hershey's syrup to a gallon of clear mead/melomel and in a matter of days this will drop out and infuse your mead with chocolate(just remember to use k-meta and sorbate if you want to retain the sweetness). I actually did this to a gallon of JMAO--fantastic!! Also, when bottling a basic mead with syrup added you can add a few drops of vanilla and voila! You can also use a quality unsweetened cocoa powder, dutch processed preferred, (or basic Hershey's unsweetened) 4oz by weight per gallon, while in primary. This does need headspace initially and creates chocolate fudge sludge lees--but wow! And if you plan on aging the mead 1-2 years anyway, well, a great time to use cocoa. Others use roasted nibs or actual chocolate bars. Can also incorporate fruit for a chocolate-fruit mead. Limited only by your imagination and carboys!!

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I do twice a day for the first three day then once a day for 2 more days.....BTW
FATBLOKE....you were right it was the seal of my jug...and I pulled the life off on day four it was all wet so I aerated it into a carboy and its bubbling fine now

Old 12-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
K9Handler
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Saramc,

Do you have a favorite recipe for a chocolate mead? Just curious why you recommend skipping the chocolate infused honey?

Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #14
saramc
Recipes 

Simply because you are paying for honey with chocolate added and you ideally want to control the chocolate that goes into your mead. JMHO

I do not have my recipes handy, but a favorite is Steve's Chocolate Mead recipe, I think it is a basic mead 1:4 ratio and when it is clear, no sediment, you add the cup of Hershey Syrup. They now make a Special Dark syrup. That drops clear in about two weeks, you rack. Bulk age. I add five drops of my home made vanilla per 750ml bottle. I started this in the fall and it was crystal clear in less than sixty days, bulk aging now. Ages well in six months. Good stuff. I remember I also added espresso granules to my mead, because coffee brings out chocolate.
Jack Keller has a chocolate cherry mead posted on his site that I am itching to make. Hope that gets you started.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:29 AM   #15
K9Handler
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

That makes sense. Would you recommend the Lord Rhys recipe or to stay away from cocoa powder?

Old 01-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #16
saramc
Recipes 

Definitely try the Lord Rhys recipe. I honestly think the only difference is cocoa powder versus syrup. Of course, you could make one of each and see what you prefer. And use a quality dutch processed cocoa, Droste or the like--- the acid is not as harsh and you will find you will not have to age as long.

Quick Reply