Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First Mead, so far so good. Help me keep it that way

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
66Fox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Mead, so far so good. Help me keep it that way

Last Oct (2011) I made my first mead. It was half of a cyser from page 168 of K Schramm's The Compleat Meadmaker:

4lb honey (heated only enough to dissolve in the cider)
.5lb brown sugar
.5lb raisins
2.5 gal fresh cider (unpasteurized)
Lalvin EC-118 yeast

OG: 1.102
FG: 1.004 mar '12

I did degassing and nutrient additions for the next 3 mornings as per the author's description from a podcast he was in (One of Jamil's I think)

I racked it off the yeast in Nov and topped the carboy (glass) to the neck with more cider. It's been in my basement fermentation area since then @ 54-59*F. I sneak a taste now and then with my wine thief, and it tastes good, maybe a little "hot" but not bad.

So, do I bottle now; should I have bottled already? Any other guidance? I'd like my carboy for something else. Maybe a braggot if I can find a good recipe (I had a braggot last summer in Maine--Atlantic Brewing--that was really good)

Is using the .5 litre "flippy" beer bottles a bad idea? (my guess is not to do it)

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
Machalel
Recipes 

Since november? Probably fine to bottle it then (of course assuming that the FG has been steady for a while). Definitely not too long, some people bulk age meads for up to (and over) a year before bottling.

By flippy bottles, do you mean the Grolsch style ones? If so then they are fine

Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I would probably stabalise it first with camden and sorbate just in case, but after that if its clear id say go ahead and bottle.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
66Fox
Recipes 

Thanks, it's good to know I'm on the right track.

Machalel: Yep, that's exactly the type of bottle I have on hand. My son is US Air Force in Germany and he sent me a few boxes of his empties.

Insomniac: I used camden tabs with my first couple of batches of cider (my wife's new favorite drink ) and I have two words--Head Ache! The last couple of batches have been made without it and there's no problem. So, with that in mind, I'm leery of using of using it. Sorbate though I have no problems with. Is it really needed with mead if the FG is stable? I have more experience brewing beer than making mead so just asking. And if it's not totally still and has a little residual carbonation, that's ok with me.

I guess I just need to borrow a corker from a friend at work and get busy.

Quick Reply