Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > first mead racked to secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
nosnhojr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default first mead racked to secondary

I'm making my first mead (a raspberry melomel, actually) and racked it to secondary today. It looks great so far! The smell reminds me quite a lot of some white wines from the Finger Lakes region.

I had let this sit in the primary two months and was worried about autolosis, but it smells and tastes fine. How long do people normally wait before racking to secondary?

My OG was 1.107, and SG out of primary was 0.997. It'll be interesting to see what happens now that I've added raspberry puree.

Oh, I also learned that 5 + ~1/4 > 5. I put the puree in the secondary first, then racked the mead on top. I was so focused on not sucking up yeast that I didn't notice the several pints overflowing onto the floor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 03:56 AM   #2
mjm76
Recipes 

My first mead, which I am about to bottle, fermented for almost 2 months in primary.

Primary #1 Munich Helles

Primary #2 Nichts

Secondary #1 Nichts

Secondary #2 Mezza Luna Red wine (kit)

Secondary #3 Maerzen

Secondary #4 English Barleywine

Bottled: Traditional Dry Mead, Dry Cider, Honey Koelsch, Doppelbock, Barolo Wine

On the Horizon: Scotch ale, Rauchbier

Old 12-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

I've seen people leave meads in the primary for 6 months. My blackberry melomel is going on three months (I fermented the juice for a month, then added the honey). As long as it is still fermenting, the yeast are alive & well, so autolysis is not a problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply