Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First Mead, Looking for help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
BrewerinND
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Mead, Looking for help

My Brother-in-Law and I have been brewing beer for about 6 months now and he really wants to get into brewing Mead as well. So for Christmas I'm going to pick up some supplies and I'm looking for a book on mead brewing as well. Are there any really great books I should be looking at?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
snuesen
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ken Schramm's book is very popular, tons of good info for starting up

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0937381802

Old 10-06-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerinND View Post
My Brother-in-Law and I have been brewing beer for about 6 months now and he really wants to get into brewing Mead as well. So for Christmas I'm going to pick up some supplies and I'm looking for a book on mead brewing as well. Are there any really great books I should be looking at?
Well the obvious one is Ken Schramm's "The Compleat Meadmaker". Haven't seen whether Ken posts here, but he does from time to time over at Gotmead.

Their "NewBee Guide" is also well worth a read, as it has pretty much all the info to start out.

For one that I got, as it was all that I could find on this side of the pond, Ashton & Duncans out of print book "Making Mead", was pretty easy to locate a copy of. But I just checked Amazon.co.uk to see if I could link a copy and it seems they have reprinted it..... See here (I don't know if it's been updated as well, or just reprinted - gonna order a new copy myself as I found one when it was out of print from the mid-70's).

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 10-06-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I got started making mead with this site. The dude has a book too and seems very knowledgeable. (hopefully Tx doesn't mind me posting another link) But the quest eventually wound me up here.

My experience so far. Mead is ridiculously easy to start. Way easier than beer. And waiting for mead to be ready drove me to making beer.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
I got started making mead with this site. The dude has a book too and seems very knowledgeable. (hopefully Tx doesn't mind me posting another link) But the quest eventually wound me up here.

My experience so far. Mead is ridiculously easy to start. Way easier than beer. And waiting for mead to be ready drove me to making beer.
I didn't know that Will had produced a book as well. Having emailed him a couple of times, I'd guess that comparing Kens book and Wills book, would show a few of the differences, not withstanding that Kens book has probably been available for a lot longer.

There's a number of controversies on method and technique anyway, you find what works for you and usually stick with it.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Quick Reply