The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First mead = Fail so far, please help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
From what I've read I think the main complaint about bread yeast like Fleischman's is that it doesn't like to settle out like wine yeast.
It settles out just fine but it won't remain settled if it's disturbed at all. Siphon carefully from the top and leave a bit or you'll disturb the lees.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I used Wyeast's Activator Sweet Mead yeast on my first mead batch a few days ago as well. Mine started showing activity on day two, but the fermentation appears to be very slow.

-Dave

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
Smburnette
Recipes 

I came home last night and discovered what could have been a huge mess.. This was the first brew that I have NEEDED a blow off hose.. I always use one the first day or so, but this thing was pumping krausen out of the tube like crazy!! It settled down and I changed to an air lock.. It is popping 2-3 times per second...

Quick Reply