New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First mead (cyser) in primary. Questions and concerns.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #21
StLouisBrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

New update: So after cold crashing it for a couple weeks I finally racked it into another 1 gallon carboy. The sediment didn't go down as much as I would have liked. After racking I ended up with a little under an inch of sediment still. I added roughly 1/3 of a gallon of cider to fill to the top.

I'm a bit discouraged at this point. My gravity before racking was 1.039 and adding that cider is just going to make it sweeter. What should I do at this point? I was thinking of waiting a couple weeks and racking again to get rid of more sediment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I'd give it a couple weeks before doing anything rash. You just diluted the ABV to 2/3 of what it was before, so the yeast may well jump back to life and start fermenting the cider you've just added. If that happens, you'll end up with a lower gravity and lose a bit of sweetness, which is great if you're concerned about it being too sweet.

More than anything, don't get discouraged. You're going to end up with something good, and the more that goes outside of plan along the way, the better a story you end up with. If you just wanted a bottle of hard cider, you could have gone to the store!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #23
StLouisBrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
I'd give it a couple weeks before doing anything rash. You just diluted the ABV to 2/3 of what it was before, so the yeast may well jump back to life and start fermenting the cider you've just added. If that happens, you'll end up with a lower gravity and lose a bit of sweetness, which is great if you're concerned about it being too sweet.

More than anything, don't get discouraged. You're going to end up with something good, and the more that goes outside of plan along the way, the better a story you end up with. If you just wanted a bottle of hard cider, you could have gone to the store!
Really I just want the stuff to taste good. In my opinion tasting it before the extra cider addition I thought it was pretty good in comparison to commercial sweet meads I've had. I would mind fermentation starting again. Would it be ill advised to add a tsp. of yeast nutrient at this point? I think I'm just going to leave it be for another month, and rack again.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #24
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisBrews View Post
Really I just want the stuff to taste good. In my opinion tasting it before the extra cider addition I thought it was pretty good in comparison to commercial sweet meads I've had. I would mind fermentation starting again. Would it be ill advised to add a tsp. of yeast nutrient at this point? I think I'm just going to leave it be for another month, and rack again.
Sounds like a good philosophy to me.

I don't have any experience with adding nutrients at this point, but I wouldn't be inclined to do so. I'd be more inclined to add a bit of fresh yeast if fermentation didn't restart, but really I'd take your approach and just let it ride.

Quick Reply