New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First mead (cyser) in primary. Questions and concerns.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
StevenM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

plan looks good. yes it will clear if given enough time, pectic enzyme works pretty well, and don't boil cider, you'll never get it to clear if boiled. You could consider freezing the left over cider for topping off the batch when you rack. I usually have it in primary from 10 days to a month depending on the yeast and then rack every month to every 2 months till clear, depending on lees. If its too sweet for your taste, then top off with distilled water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
StLouisBrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Update: It seems like the S-33 has slowed a bit. It's still bubbling quite a bit just not as much (as in I can shake it up without it blowing it's top.). I'm considering putting a tsp of cinnamon and a tsp of vanilla extract to the secondary when it's done. Can anyone vouch whether that's too much for a one gallon batch?

Old 07-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Be careful with ground cinammon........can gunk things up, use a stick so you can easily remove it when you reach your desired flavor. Tie a fish line around it.
I used 2 tbsp real vanilla extract in 5 gallons so your tsp is prob close. Start small and add til your happy.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
StLouisBrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's been 16 days and fermentation has slowed dramatically (it almost seems stuck). Other than shaking it up twice a day I've pretty much left this stuff alone. Would now be a good time to add some nutrients? I have some generic yeast energizer and yeast nutrient. If I do add nutrient should I disolve it in water before or just add it in?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I would get a gravity reading, it could easily be almost done in that time and you dont want to be adding nutrients too late on. Usually only up until about a third of the way through.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #16
StLouisBrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
I would get a gravity reading, it could easily be almost done in that time and you dont want to be adding nutrients too late on. Usually only up until about a third of the way through.
I'll take one tomorrow (as long as my kids give me time to escape). I've been wanting to take one for a while.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #17
StLouisBrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

New Update: Just did a gravity reading and it's at 1.050. If I remember right the max this yeast could do is 1.040. It's not quite 3 weeks yet so I'm inclined to wait to see if it will get down 1.040. Thinking about giving it until August 1st. It has a wonderful bready apple aroma to it. The taste is what's most surprising to me. Even though it's young it's very drinkable and while it's definitely a sweet cyser, but it's not overly sweet to me. Definitely can tell there's alcohol. A little hoochie. My wife tried it and wanted to have more. There is almost no noticible apple flavor it which apparently is what S-33 does to ciders from what I read in one of the cider threads. In this situation I think it's working out to my advantage though.

So here are my thoughts now; I'm not going to add a cinnamon stick, vanilla or anything. I'm not going to repitch a different yeast either. My wife, a brewing buddy of mine and myself all though it was pretty damn tasty.

I would like some advice on my how I should proceed from here. Sediment has settled at the bottom and takes up nearly half the carboy. Should I cold crash it to make it settle more to the bottom before I rack it or should I use some finning, or even just rack it as is and plan on racking again after a time? Also from what I've read when racking to a secondary you should have as little headspace as possible. After racking should I add some distilled water to fill up that head space?

Again thanks to everyone for their advice and patience with all of my questions. If you have anything else to add I'm all ears. I'm really pleased with how this turned out so far.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #18
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you have the fridge space I would cold crash just to try and have all that yeast compact a bit better, sounds like its raking up far too much space! As for topping up, in some ways yes, you want it to fill the carboy to stop oxidation. But using water will change the taste, great if you are finding it too sweet but not if you like it as is. I have taken to using a vaccuvin wine saver shoved in the top of an airlock to make a vacuum, which has worked quite well so far. Though you could also try adding marbles to raise the water level.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #19
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts

If you go the route of topping off you'd be better off using the same original cider/juice you used, it's going to change the alcohol content but not the flavor profile as much as using water would dilute it. Cold crashing is a good idea before you rack into secondary, personally I prefer to let it clear on it's own without any fining agents but it is a cyser, they tend to take awhile to clear so down the road you may want to consider that.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
StLouisBrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Update: It's been cold crashing in my fridge for over a week. Sediment has only compacted a little. How long should I give it? If it doesn't go down to an ideal level do I have any options or should I just expect a significant volume loss?

Quick Reply