Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First Mead and Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #1
Knight03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Mead and Apfelwein

I fill like a boy who just finshed looking at his first Playboy. SWMBO said I could get started. So I drove to the local home brew shop and bought 4 1 gallon jugs, a beer equipment kit, a brown ale kit, all sorts of yeast and chemicals. Went by the local bottled water company and picked up 2 5 gallon carboys ($20ea). Then went to kroger and got the stuff to make Apfelwein and my first batch of JOAM - clove. I just finshed making both and can not wait.
Only question is Should I have taken gravity readings on either of these. Both recipes have time limits and say when they clear bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Taking an original gravity (OG) is not as crucial as determining the final gravity (FG). You really need to take gravity readings for 2-3 days with no change to verify that fermentation is complete (or stuck like my Braggot at 1.030).

Congrats on the new purchases and good luck with your batches.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight03 View Post
I fill like a boy who just finshed looking at his first Playboy. SWMBO said I could get started. So I drove to the local home brew shop and bought 4 1 gallon jugs, a beer equipment kit, a brown ale kit, all sorts of yeast and chemicals. Went by the local bottled water company and picked up 2 5 gallon carboys ($20ea). Then went to kroger and got the stuff to make Apfelwein and my first batch of JOAM - clove. I just finshed making both and can not wait.
Only question is Should I have taken gravity readings on either of these. Both recipes have time limits and say when they clear bottle.
You can take as much extra info as you like really, extra data is always handy to retain for understanding and control issues.

Your only problem might be (with the JAO, not the apple wine, I don't make those), is that the orange and raisin in the JAO also have a sugar content, but as it's retained in the flesh of the fruit, it isn't easily measured. It's the same problem whenever you ferment on the fruit/pulp.

If you've followed the JAO instructions to the letter, it's pretty straight forward and produces a good product. It might not taste the nicest when it's first finished though, meads, as a rule, like to take some ageing time. JAO is no exception, though you might also be lucky enough for it to taste Ok when young. Either way, it will improve with age.

regards

fatbloke

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 01-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Knight03
Recipes 

Thanks. I forgot to get a wine theif though. Sanitized turkey baster? The Apfelwein is bubbling away like crazy. Is it to late to take a reading?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight03 View Post
Thanks. I forgot to get a wine theif though. Sanitized turkey baster? The Apfelwein is bubbling away like crazy. Is it to late to take a reading?
I have both, but it's usually quicker to take a sample with the turkey baster.

I usually have "CJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ's sanitiser" (5 crushed campden tablets and a teaspoon of citric acid in 500mls water) available in a spray, and always keep a hydrometer and test sample tube at the ready.

Then I just spray the test sample tube, hydrometer and any part of the turkey baster that's likely contact the wine (outside the tube, inside the tube and inside the bulb) and leave it for a couple of minutes. Then I just suck up enough until the test sample tube has 100mls of wine/must (amount required to take test) and drop the hydrometer into it.

Yes I always pour the sample back into the ferment and have never had a problem doing that - some like to dump the test sample, the choice is yours....

regards

fatbloke

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 03-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #6
Knight03
Recipes 

Just a update. I tried a sample of both tonight. Jaom if mead taste anything like this I may have found a new drink. A little pithy on the orange rind. (But i understand. I read other post from Fatbloke. It helps off set sweetness.)
Apfelwein it taste much better 2 mths old than just one. Still think I need to wait some more. Do I rake off yeast now if Im going to bulk age for a nother month or 2?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #7
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6069 Times on 5303 Posts
Likes Given: 711

I've primaried Apfelwein for 4+ months with no problems; but if you want to rack, go ahead....

And it tastes so much better when it's aged in the bottle 1+ year! Get some more going!

Old 03-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #8
funkadelicturkey
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 2229

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
And it tastes so much better when it's aged in the bottle 1+ year! Get some more going!
do you cork or cap your apfelwein when aging it? Last time I capped and carbed, I am thinking about corking it still and aging it a bit.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:17 AM   #9
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6069 Times on 5303 Posts
Likes Given: 711

I cap with O2 absorbing caps...

Old 03-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #10
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkadelicturkey View Post
do you cork or cap your apfelwein when aging it? Last time I capped and carbed, I am thinking about corking it still and aging it a bit.
I like it much better still. I put some of my last batch in a Franzia bag and that 5L was gone super quick.

Quick Reply