Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
aaronwynnyk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First mead

I am makin my first batch of mead and only doing 1 gallon just to try it out. It's been in the fermenter pail for 1 week. It seemed to be fermenting a bit but not like normal wine. The specific gravity has went from 1.8 to 1.5. But seems like its not fermenting anymore. I racked it into a Carnot and the airlock is showing no signs of gassing. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwynnyk View Post
I am makin my first batch of mead and only doing 1 gallon just to try it out. It's been in the fermenter pail for 1 week. It seemed to be fermenting a bit but not like normal wine. The specific gravity has went from 1.8 to 1.5. But seems like its not fermenting anymore. I racked it into a Carnot and the airlock is showing no signs of gassing. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
Don't know. Firstly you should post the exact recipe and method.....and more importantly for diagnosis correct format gravity numbers ( like 1.xxx) because at the moment any guess would be miles out..... the numbers you've posted would, if correct, be unfermentable. So we need clarification to help.

Welcome to the forums

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 02-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Assuming your SG was 1.080 then 1.050.
As mentioned recipe would be helpful. But in general mead tends to be much slower than wine. Depending upon your recipe it can be nutrient poor which can impact overall fermentation. Then you have to consider your yeast, primary choice (bucket and no airlock or under airlock from the start, etc.).

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
hehawbrew
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts

I'm going to jump on this guys band wagon... I did my first mead today. I'm new to brewing in general and started making a gallon of something the past few Fridays. Today I was doing some beer and thought I would make some mead too.....

Here is what I did:
1/2 gallon( all I had was a glass milk jug)
2 lbs honey
Tiny bit of lavlin 1118
1/2 teaspoon nutrient
Spring water

It looks pretty and started making bubbles about an hour later.

I don't have any gravity readings( just bought a hydrometer, but keep forgetting to use it!)

Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Assuming your SG was 1.080 then 1.050.
As mentioned recipe would be helpful. But in general mead tends to be much slower than wine. Depending upon your recipe it can be nutrient poor which can impact overall fermentation. Then you have to consider your yeast, primary choice (bucket and no airlock or under airlock from the start, etc.).
Yes I also presumed that saramc but I generally figure its better the newer mead makers are encouraged to use the standard nomenclature and other listings, that way it doesn't matter what.....?..... dialect? of english is being used, we're all"singing from the same song sheet" plus I've found when I make presumptions I presume wrongly (like 1.118 and 1.115 etc).

I'm suspecting it could just be a long lag phase thing, but until/if the OP posts a response we won't know one way or another.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Quick Reply