Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
IrritableGourmet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Mead

I started a hard cider the other day and, while waiting for that to finish, got curious and decided to try a mead. I got the Joe's Quick Blueberry Mead recipe and modified it to fit the two gallon water cooler jug I got at a garage sale for $1 (used once, given a nice long C-Brite bath).

I got a 3 lb jar of honey from WallyWorld for $7 and decided to use light brown sugar to make up the other pound and hopefully add some flavor. I used a 96 oz grape juice and a gallon of spring water to cut back on the grapeness (my wife hates flavored wines/beers). Mixed it all together, pitched some champagne yeast (Lalvin EC-1118) and 2 tsp yeast nutrient (I'm a bit of an overkill kinda guy), and sealed it up with an airlock.

15 minutes in and I'm getting a bubble about every 25 sec. Hopefully I'll have a nice dry mead by month's end. Given that it will supposedly improve with age, I'm thinking of bottling some as Christmas presents for my family.

Also, if I want it to be sweeter, what's your recommendations on the use of Campden tablets/sorbate in meads?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6201 Times on 5392 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritableGourmet View Post

Also, if I want it to be sweeter, what's your recommendations on the use of Campden tablets/sorbate in meads?
same as wine - make sure it's done fermenting, add in the stuff, wait a day or so, and backsweeten - I used both grape juice and honey to back sweeten JQGM.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
IrritableGourmet
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
same as wine - make sure it's done fermenting, add in the stuff, wait a day or so, and backsweeten - I used both grape juice and honey to back sweeten JQGM.
I just started this Friday and I would like to give bottles away as gifts for Christmas. If I wait to bottle until the last minute (I'm planning on Sparkolloiding the first week of December), it should still continue to age in the bottles, right? I know bulk aging is the best, but I want to give it away and I don't think my family would mind storing it for a special occasion down the road.

Also, the airlock was getting all foamy (I used vodka, so it wasn't contaminated) so I lowered the level a bit by taking a hydro sample while cleaning the airlock. Down to 1.073 from 1.088 and tasty as hell.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6201 Times on 5392 Posts
Likes Given: 771

yeah, it'll age either in the bottle or in the carboy...

by Christmas it will still be young, but I haven't tried your recipe, so I can't comment on how it will taste.

they say JQGM is drinkable in 6 weeks, but I found it to be quite hot still.

regardless, you're on your way - and I'm sure your family and friends will enjoy your created beverage - especially if they can wait longer.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I would think about giving it out Christmas after next. Who really wants a present they need to wait a year to taste. This year give them a bottle of something else.
Patience and time make great mead and cider. Too soon and it's just not right.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Quick Reply