First cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedie789

Reaction score
I made my first cyser today, based on the Fall's Bounty Cyser recipe from The Compleat Meadmaker. My interpretation of the recipe is as follows:

4.5 gal apple juice
8 lbs orange blossom honey
1 lb Demerara Sugar
0.5 lb raisins
0.5 lb chopped dates
2 tsp yeast energizer
1 tsp yeast nutrient
2 packs Lalvin D-47 yeast (rehydrated)

Basically I just mixed all the ingredients together, took a gravity reading (~1.106) and pitched the yeast.

What final gravity should I expect for this yeast? Approx. how long should I wait to bottle this? Thanks

Using the gotmead calculator (google is your friend)... I estimate that you should have a gravity of 1.120 which equates to 16.25% abv. Did you adjust for temperature? I assumed that you will have a SG of 1.050 for the apple juice alone.

D47 will take you to 14-15% abv, perhaps even more if you really farm it well. So you should expect the mead to be just off dry with a FG of about 1.005 or more.

Bottle when it drops clear and after you have backsweetened. 5-t6 months minimum. YMMV.

Give it a year or two before expecting this to taste good. I bottle in 750mls and in beer bottles, so I can sample monthly - the beer bottles, and still have a case of 750s left over.

Best.

Thanks for the input. In the book he said that he never measures the SG, so I had no idea what to expect.

Back