HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First Braggot- recipe help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
RedGuitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts

Default First Braggot- recipe help needed

In April I'l be brewing my first braggot. I've brewed a few beers, but only one mead so far, so I've got a few questions. Here's my recipe plan so far.

4 pounds honey (what kind depends on what the Farmer's Market has)
3.3 pounds pale LME
1/2 pound Honey Malt
1/4 pound Crystal 40L
1/4 pound Biscuit malt

1 oz Amarillo hops, 60 minutes
1/2 oz Willamette hops, 15 minutes
1/2 oz Willamette hops, 1 minute

How does this sound so far?
What yeast would you recommend using?
How long do you think this will need to ferment?

"I sit here and drink my good Wittenberg Beer, and the Kingdom of God comes all by itself." -Martin Luther

"Good men drink good beer." -Hunter S. Thompson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Subscribed.

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Traditional Wildflower Mead
1 Gal: Organic Pyment
5 Gal: ESB

Old 03-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

For it to be a braggot, 51% of the fermentable sugar has to come from honey. 4lbs of honey vs 3.3lbs of DME plus grains...I think you might be tipping the scales towards 'honey fortified beer' right now.

but the concept is sound...figure out a beer style, and throw honey at it until it qualifies as a braggot. Hops are optional...depends on if you want it hopped and/or if you think it'll need hops to balance residual sweetness. If you ferment dry, the hops can be really dominating.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-19-2011, 02:28 AM   #4
RedGuitar
Recipes 

The more I think about this, the more I think I want to make a heavy braggot. What about 6 pounds lme, same amount of specialty grains as above, and 9 pounds honey (this is based in part on the braggot recipe in Compleat Meadmaker)?

I like the hops that I've got picked out right now, I think. I was thinking an American Ale yeast, and throw some yeast nutrient and energizer in to get it up around 11& abv.

Thoughts?

"I sit here and drink my good Wittenberg Beer, and the Kingdom of God comes all by itself." -Martin Luther

Old 03-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #5
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

With your updates, it's more in the style...

For the braggot style, usually up to 2/3 of the fermentables comes from honey. You usually won't see anything less than ~50% recognized as a braggot. You're on the leaner side for honey, but far enough in (~56%) to not need to worry too much.

I would focus more on the flavors you're going after on this one.. Keep in mind, as the recipe stands your OG should be about 1.106, with a FG around 1.027. In the mid 10% ABV range, so make sure you pick a yeast that can handle at least 10-12% ABV. Wyeast #1728 Scottish ale fits the bill there, as one option...

I would use some nutrient in the boil, and maybe even include some DAP (often used in making mead) to help the yeast along. I would plan to make a really good sized starter for this one. You'll want 372 billion yeast cells for that brew... Mr. Malty puts that at a 5qt starter if you use intermittent shaking/swirling. If you have a stir plate, you can get away with a 3.33qt starter... For something THAT big, I'd do it... Or reserve enough of a yeast cake to get the cell count you want/need.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 03-19-2011, 03:17 AM   #6
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I plugged this into Brewtarget and the pitch rate for an OG of 1.106 is 3.6 vials/smack packs! I think a big starter will save you from buying multiple vials (and at $6-8 each that could get expensive!) I love mead and beer and am looking forward to making my first braggot. Good luck!

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Old 03-19-2011, 03:33 AM   #7
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is getting interesting, I love Braggot!

This is an interesting recipe too. A FG of 1.027 is pretty darn sweet, I think the hops will really help a lot to keep it from being too sweet, but if my calculations are correct it'll only put you at about 10 IBU's. Is that normal?

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

Old 03-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would not use any liquid mead yeasts on this. I would still probably go with a wine yeast like d-47 or 71-b or whatever schramm's yeast guide in the book said it good for braggots.

if you do use an ale yeast just make sure it can attenuate, and I'd make a big starter in any event for the high gravity brew.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
RedGuitar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
This is getting interesting, I love Braggot!

This is an interesting recipe too. A FG of 1.027 is pretty darn sweet, I think the hops will really help a lot to keep it from being too sweet, but if my calculations are correct it'll only put you at about 10 IBU's. Is that normal?
I have no idea what "normal" is. I've actually never had a braggot, and am just making this up as I go because it sounds good.

Are you doing these calculations on your own, or do you have a program/website that you use?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #10
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGuitar View Post
I have no idea what "normal" is. I've actually never had a braggot, and am just making this up as I go because it sounds good.

Are you doing these calculations on your own, or do you have a program/website that you use?
Yeah, I suppose "normal" is relative, how about "traditional"?

Here's the site I used to calculate it.

Quick Reply