Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First batch of Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 06:55 PM   #21
Cregar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus
1) How do you siphon from these bottles? My auto-siphon doesn't fit, so I siphoned by mouth (gasp!). I know I'm not supposed to, but this is the first time I've ever not been able to use the auto-siphon so I was totally lost.
I just use my standard siphon tube filled with water... run the siphon till a little of the mead shows up and then put the end of the tubing in the other jar... works like a charm

Quote:
2) How do you take your SG readings? I'm assuming a sampling flask or something. I couldn't take an SG reading bc my hydrometer rested on the bottom of the jar.
While siphoning I transfer alittle into my hydrometer testing tube.

Quote:
3) so you're not going to rack into another secondary? You expect that it'll be clear enogh to bottle by New Years? I hope so, but we'll see.
I racked into a secondary about a month after fermentation started. I waited till I was at about 1 to 2 bpm before transferring.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2006, 04:46 AM   #22
Focus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Updates, Pics?

Cregar,

What's the latest with your mead batch that you started about the same time as I did? I went away for a little over a week and when I came back, I was a little disappointed with the lack of clarification that had occurred. Just wondering how yours is clearing and if there's anything I could be doing to speed it up.

Focus

Upcoming Projects: Return to brewing!
The Online Brewery: www.twospooks.com (Recently, and completely renovated. Stop by, sign the guestbook, and leave some feedback!)

Old 01-11-2007, 12:45 AM   #23
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Cregar,

What's the latest with your mead batch that you started about the same time as I did? I went away for a little over a week and when I came back, I was a little disappointed with the lack of clarification that had occurred. Just wondering how yours is clearing and if there's anything I could be doing to speed it up.

Focus
Sorry focus, must have missed this post. Didn't mean to ignore you.

It's been in secondary for about 2 1/2 months now, not sure when I will bottle it. I did taste it a few weeks ago and damn it was tasting good, the alcohol taste is mellowing out really well... just a slight taste. It's also clearing pretty well to, nice golden color.

Quick Reply