*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First batch of Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 06:28 PM   #11
Cregar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Update on progress...

Well, using (1) 20 oz frozen bottle of water in the cooler with the mead keeps it at around 72 to 74 degrees. Not too bad I have been taking the bottle out when I get home from work (since its all melted) and by morning the temp is around 76 to 78 degrees. I add a new frozen bottle before I go to work since my apartment gets up to around 85 degrees, that then takes it back down to 72 to 74 degrees by the time I get home... then it starts over again

It is still bubbling away, I timed it and it is bubbling about 8 to 9 bubbles a minute. I think once it gets down to a bubble every 30 seconds or so I will take a reading and see where I am at.

Last edited by Cregar; 09-30-2006 at 06:29 PM. Reason: formatting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2006, 04:33 AM   #12
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default 1 month later

Well, my mead finally got to about 1 bubble every 45 seconds so I decided to transfer it to the clearing bottle. After transferring I took a hydrometer reading and the corrected reading came out at 1.017. Not to bad concidering it started out at 1.143.

I punched the numbers in BeerAlchemy and came up with the numbers below:

Apparent Attenuation: 86.8%
Real Attenuation: 71.1%
ABW%: 13.52
ABV%: 17.31

I drank the sample and it has a strong alcohol taste (it should for being almost 18%) I am sure it will mellow out after awhile, I also noticed a kinda yeasty smell which I’m sure will go away too. I plan on letting it just sit for a few months, maybe a few days before New Year’s Eve I will take another hydrometer reading. If its not too bad, I will bottle it up. We will see…

Here’s a current pic of it:

Last edited by Cregar; 10-22-2006 at 05:05 AM.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:35 AM   #13
skou
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For some reason, that bottle looks familiar!

Oh, we were VERY busy today. I think we broke sales records for the second day in a row. Glad I'm getting Sunday off, but I'll be there Monday.

Since your primary 1 gal is free, how about a small batch of low gravity Mead? Something around 1.5-2 pounds, and possibly a cyser? You can use Nottingham or Lalvin D-47 for that.

steve

Old 10-23-2006, 01:25 PM   #14
mjm76
Recipes 

Default primary fermenter

I thinkyou guys may have answered my mead question. I am currently fermenting my first batch and was not sure what to expect. It has been in primary for 3 weeks and just seems to keep bubbling along(not in the same fashion as beer, but fairly consistently 10-20 sec). Should I wait until it slows down to rack it or just rack it in a certain timeframe.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #15
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

During the 3 week mark mine was going at about the same rate as yours, I decided to leave it until it was between 1 and 2 bpm. Just so I could make sure the yeast did all it do. Like I said in my previous post, now I'm going to let it set for 2 months to clear... then bottle.

Goodluck on your batch!

BTW... what was your recipe if you don't mind?

I was thinking about that too steve. I might purchase "The Compleat Meadmaker" to see what other options there are.

Thanks again for your help Sat.

Last edited by Cregar; 10-23-2006 at 02:16 PM.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:46 PM   #16
Focus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I satarted my first batch roughly the same time as yours, cregar, and my timetable has been roughly the same also. My recipe was simply:
3 lb clover honey
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pack Levlin 1118 champagne
water to 1 gal
OG: 1.100

I'm going to rack sometime in the next day or so (the 5-week point) and let clarify for as long as it takes. What's the community wisdom on stabilizing and clarifying agents? Are you going to use campden tablets and/or a clarifying agent, or are you just going to let the yeast dies out naturally? I don't know what I'm going to do at that point.

One interesting thing, though: I started a scuppergnong mead (exact same recipe with the addition of juice steeped and strained from the pulp of 3 lbs of scuppergnongs) 1 week after the above batch. It's still bubbling at the same rate as the original batch was at the 4-week point but it's already clearer than the original is now. I can only attribute this to the bits of pulp helping the yeast to floculate better. At any rate, I'm very happy with the look and color of that batch - hopefully it will taste good in the end as well.

I noticed you only used 1/2 tsp nutrient, most info I've read says 1 tsp/gal. Obviously you had no problem with fermentation (17% ABV!!!!). Where'd you get the idea to use 1/2 tsp?

Happy Meading,
Focus

Upcoming Projects: Return to brewing!
The Online Brewery: www.twospooks.com (Recently, and completely renovated. Stop by, sign the guestbook, and leave some feedback!)

Old 10-23-2006, 07:13 PM   #17
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Focus, I wasn't planning on using any clarifying agent... this is my first batch of mead, so any advice on this from more experinced meadmakers would be great.

I honestly can't remember where I found the recipe at but it stated 1/2 tsp, so thats what I used. Yea... fermentation went good. I just used a 1/2 pound more honey then you so mine is going to be sweeter. I guess thats why my OG was 1.143

Old 10-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #18
mjm76
Recipes 

Default recipe

The recipe I used was 1 gallon of honey. A dark honey recommended by a local beekeeper (said it was preferred by meadmakers for its flavors). I also added 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient for the whole batch (not sure where I read that but it seems to be fermenting OK with that little amount) and 1 tsp Irish moss as a clarifier. I used the E1118 yeast as well. Sorry these are the amounts for a 5 gallon batch.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:04 AM   #19
skou
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cregar, I just noticed in your sig, you're planning a spiced ale. Perhaps this one?

http://www.brewersconnection.com/recipes/Blitzers.htm

steve

Old 10-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #20
Focus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Update on my own first batch

Just racked my first and second batch yesterday.

First my observations:
Both had a strong alcohol taste to them and very dry as well which was as expected from the 1118 yeast. They also had a very strong yeasty taste which I really hope goes away with some more settling out.

Next, my questions:
1) How do you siphon from these bottles? My auto-siphon doesn't fit, so I siphoned by mouth (gasp!). I know I'm not supposed to, but this is the first time I've ever not been able to use the auto-siphon so I was totally lost.
2) How do you take your SG readings? I'm assuming a sampling flask or something. I couldn't take an SG reading bc my hydrometer rested on the bottom of the jar.
3) so you're not going to rack into another secondary? You expect that it'll be clear enogh to bottle by New Years? I hope so, but we'll see.

Look forward to comparing more notes...
Focus

Upcoming Projects: Return to brewing!
The Online Brewery: www.twospooks.com (Recently, and completely renovated. Stop by, sign the guestbook, and leave some feedback!)

Quick Reply