First batch just racked to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMH

Reaction score
So this morning I racked my first mead attempt into the glass carboy for secondary fermentation. Will be racking off of this once it clears into seperate 1 gallon jugs with different flavoring in each to see which I like better, or really just to have some variety to start with.

Original base consisted of 1 gallon of star thistle honey (12 lbs), 1/2 gallon of wildflower honey (5 lbs), 3 1/2 gallons spring water, and nutrients = energizer, Went with Lalvin 71B yeast. I believe the O.G. was around 1.115ish and it now sits at 1.015 ( so I believe abv of around 12 to 13%). Can't wait for it to clear up so I can rack into the different flavors/ experiments :rockin:

Any ideas how long it may take to clear? Picture after racked into secondary...
2-7.jpg

It will start happening pretty quickly now that it's in secondary, watch the temp. clearing always seems to happen quicker for me in the low 60's or even lower if you can manage it.

Not sure what the temp is right now, It's in the coolest room in the house in my basment, i'd say mid60'ish

once it does clear, any idea how long on each combination of fruit I should let it sit? Is there a way to tell when it should be taken off the fruit?

I am doing something similar, but I went from a 5 gallon primary to 1 gal secondaries with fruit added at that time. I did not let it clear before adding fruit because then I would just have to clear it again after the fruit it would seem.

Now mine are off the fruit in tertiaries and starting to clear nicely (well except the one bottle that did not get fruit). Many months to go though.

Keep in mind I am also new to mead making so I haven't had any finish yet for drinking.

PS. Also had about 1.5 lbs raspberry puree/gal in one and it is very dark color. One was a little less. Another was vanilla/oak (heavy with 1 oz oak chips and 6 beans - perforated). Only left them on for 3 weeks, but the smell was really strong after.

I had originally planned to rack straight onto a fruit secondary but was advised, it could potentially help the final product by letting it settle some in the secondary before racking onto fruit, I am also new to this, and figured it couldn't hurt anything to try it that way, and might actually help???

Back