The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First Batch Help?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 04:34 AM   #1
Daddy2aAngel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Batch Help?

Okay I am going to try my ifrst batch of mead. Does anyone have some suggestions on a recipie that they have that is excellent. I know how to brew beer and I am pretty good at all grain, but if someone could walk me through or most of the way without wasting their time I would appreciate it very much. I dont like dry bitter alcohol and a sweet mead might be okay, I just hear that it is awsome. How long does it take to ferment and what kind of yeast. Thank you all!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There's plenty of good, easy recipes in the mead recipe section. What you're probably looking for is a dessert mead, as it still has a lot of leftover sugar in the finished product. Mead is not something that can be rushed. It starts to get good a minimum of 18 months after it's been started, and slowly gets better as it ages. Fermentation can take between a week to 3 months, depending on aeration and nutrients added to the must, and type of yeast.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 02-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
viking
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Like you, I am new to brewing, although there are a few things that I can pass on to you. I use 3 gallon carboys for mead. This way I can try twice as many recipes for the same price, and if there is one that you don't care for, there is not as much to suffer through! As far as a recipe, I still have not bottled my first batch of mead (Spiced Apple Cyser) that I started in November 2008. That brings me to another point. Brew yourself some beer! This will give you something to drink while you are waiting for the mead. As for the sweetness, you can stabilize your mead and then back sweeten it if it is too dry for your taste. There are a lot of recipes out there. Pick one that sounds good and go for it. If you have more questions, just ask.

Quick Reply