HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First Attempt At Mead...'lil Advice Please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #11
nelsongg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
Hi nelsongg: Here is a recipe from Ken Schramm's "The Compleat Meadmaker"
makes 5gal.
12 lbs white clover or other high-quality varietal honey
3 gal water (approximately) enough to fill to 5 gallons
2 tsp yeast energizer
2 tsp yeast nutrient
2.5 tsp pectic enzyme (optinal, but highly recommended)
10 - 12 lbs fresh peaches, blanched, peeled & halved (pits removed)
1.5 - 2 oz. fresh, peeled & mashed ginger root (optional, but recommended)
1 liter starter of Lalvin D-47 yeast.
Couple questions about this recipe:

If I leave out the peaches and ginger, what type of a plain mead will I end up with? Will it be dryer because of the absence of the sugar from the peaches?

Can I substitute spices for the fruit to make a Spicey mead?

Not knowing anything about the different yeasts and their tolerence to alcohol, is there another one I might want to use to make this recipe dryer or sweeter? I have noticed that a lot of the dry mead recipes use champagne yeast. Would this make this recipe too dry?

Thanks,
Greg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #12
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1184 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsongg View Post
Couple questions about this recipe:

If I leave out the peaches and ginger, what type of a plain mead will I end up with? Will it be dryer because of the absence of the sugar from the peaches?

Can I substitute spices for the fruit to make a Spicey mead?

Not knowing anything about the different yeasts and their tolerence to alcohol, is there another one I might want to use to make this recipe dryer or sweeter? I have noticed that a lot of the dry mead recipes use champagne yeast. Would this make this recipe too dry?

Thanks,
Greg
If you omit the fruit, there will be less fermentable sugar & therefore the end product will be dryer. Lalvin D-47 has a listed alcohol tolerance of 14%. On average, 1 pound of honey dissolved into enough water to equal 5 gallons will ROUGHLY equal 1% ABV in the finished product if allowed to ferment to dryness. I have found this rough calculation to be a tad on the light side with the honeys I've used, but honeys differ. So going on my own experience, 12 lbs honey and no other significant fermentables would come out to about 10-11% ABV. With the D-47, it will be pretty dry & light in body. You can find some VERY useful wine yeast info here: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp Usually I try to calculate my fermentables level(s) & gauge those numbers against the known acohol tolerance of a yeast strain that has other desirable traits. Adding spices can be good, technically it's called metheglin when it's just honey & spices. I've only used 1 spice so far (cinnamon in cyser) and I used it very sparingly. Usually, the best way to add fruits & spices to meads is to whip up a batch of straight mead (no fruits or spices) and then add your fruits/spices in secondary; you get more flavor that way. You can find some good info at: www.gotmead.com and I'd recommend reading "The Compleat Meadmaker" by Ken Schramm, He is pretty much THE premiere athority on meadmaking & it could help a great deal & even save you some time & $ along the way. Hope you find this info useful. Regards, GF.

Reason: misstated volume of water

Old 08-03-2008, 01:26 AM   #13
tooomanycolors
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

take the 14% with a grain of salt, my grapefruit mead which was done with 71-B which also has a 14% listed was just bottled with a final abv of 20.3%. so it kind of depends on some other variables.

anyway I still think you would be happy making a very basic mead to start with just so you get a decent idea of final products without inadvertantly making a really crappy batch that would turn you off the idea, especially considering the time involved

Primary: Belgian Triple Braggot (6gallons), Lambic Braggot (6gallons), Habanero melomel(6gallons)

Secondary: Peach melomel (5 Gallons)

It seems like a FOX TV Show when a mead maker moves in with an AG brewer....They end up with **** like Lambic Braggot.
-BigKahuna

Old 08-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1184 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooomanycolors View Post
take the 14% with a grain of salt, my grapefruit mead which was done with 71-B which also has a 14% listed was just bottled with a final abv of 20.3%.
I'm surprised by 71-B Narbonne fermenting to 20.3%, I'd have thought it might make it to 16 under primo conditions, but 20.3? Wow! Out of curiosity, how did your flavor on the grapefruit melomel balance out with the acid level? And did you get any bitterness from the pith? Regards, GF.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #15
tooomanycolors
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

little bitter but everyone who has tried it likes it, couple people like it better than everything else I have made

Primary: Belgian Triple Braggot (6gallons), Lambic Braggot (6gallons), Habanero melomel(6gallons)

Secondary: Peach melomel (5 Gallons)

It seems like a FOX TV Show when a mead maker moves in with an AG brewer....They end up with **** like Lambic Braggot.
-BigKahuna

Quick Reply