Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First 1gal batch of mead is in primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #11
dr_chamb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

That sounds awesome. I'll definitely let this one age like it should. You said to add the fruit and spice to the secondary, am I adding it into the brew process as well? I've read that most meads should have the fruits/spices re added to the secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_chamb View Post
That sounds awesome. I'll definitely let this one age like it should. You said to add the fruit and spice to the secondary, am I adding it into the brew process as well? I've read that most meads should have the fruits/spices re added to the secondary.
Some people like to put fruit and spices in the primary and in the secondary. I personally prefer to put it all in the secondary, mostly. I am currently doing a lime vanilla mint mead with lime zest in the primary and a Blackberry/Black Tea mead and I made tea with the water and put it in the primary. So it's not all cut and dry. Mostly, If the flavor is small like a bit of juice, I like to put a bit in the primary and the majority in the secondary.

Now, some wording you said is kinda odd to me: Brew Process. I personally refer the whole thing as this. The Primary is putting the honey, water, nutrients, and yeast together. Very Important, you don't need to boil honey like you do with beer. Honey is perfectly anticeptic before you add it to the water. Brewing Mead is different than brewing beer. All you need is to heat up the honey just enough to fully mix it with the water. This should be not much past room temp. Definitely not boiling. Just thought I would add that in.

Matrix

Old 09-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
dr_chamb
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I generally have just thought of the brew process as actually combining all the ingredients (sort of like cooking).. Then put into primary stage of the fermentation process. That's just how I look at it, I'm sure I'm wrong but it makes more sense to me with that verbiage. And trying to break my beer habits is like going against the grain lol

Quick Reply

Newest Threads