It finally happened: A diary of the tripple braggot and lambic braggot
Ok so we finally got off our posteriors tonight and started these 2 braggots. The "beer" portion of each is the same and was made in an 11 gallon batch with 5 actually destined to become beer, 3 for the triple and 3 for the lambic. The recipe is as follows for the entire 11gallons
23.75lbs of 2-row
2oz Special B
4oz Belgian Biscuit
2lbs candi sugar
8 gallons of water for the mash
and sparged with 9 gallons water.
The water is Urbana, IL tap if anyone wants to know specifics or composition.
both at 60min
total boil time was 120min
The trappist style (triple) will be given 15lbs total of honey. The first 2 additions will be 6lbs each with the final being 3lbs. Total batch size will be 6gallons.
The Lambic will be given a total of 8.25lbs honey. These additions will be made in quzntities of 2.25lbs three times and 1.5lbs in the final addition.
The triple braggot, 3 gallons of the wort, will be pitched with WLP570 and allowed to ferment for 4 days uninterrupted. On day 3 6lbs of honey will be added to the carboy after being dissolved in 1 gallon of warm water. the next addition of honey will be on day 28 at which point 7lbs of honey will be dissolved in 1 gallon of warm water. On day 74 of the fermentation the braggot will be transferred from primary to secondary and will rest/age there for a minimum of 12 weeks.
The lambic braggot will begin with 2 gallons of the wort diluted with 1 gallon of water to lower the OG. For the lambic fermentation WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix I was chosen. The tentative plan for honey in this braggot is 10lbs added in 4lb increments every 7 days. This will hopefully allow the bacteria to start fermenting the honey without becoming overwhelmed before the next addition. The schedule for this will be to allow initial fermentation for 6 days, then 4lbs of honey on days 13, 20, 27, and 34. After the final honey addition it is planned to remove the airlock and inset a dowel rod into the stopper and leave the carboy alone for approximately 10-11 months at which point it will have to be bottled due to a move.
Both batches will be bottled in brown beer bottles due to the presence of hops in the wort.
The honey being used is a mix of soybean, alfalfa and clover honeys collected in 2006 by the UIUC bee research facility. The honey is darker in color due to the age and has a distinctly molasses taste.
*Disclaimer* The process of each mead is subject to change and I will do my best to update this thread as soon as possible. Also pictures may appear at random:rockin:
*Note* This initial recipe and process post will be changed periodically to reflect actual method
I do hereby want to make my opinion clear! You Are Crazy!
if by crazy, you mean crazy awesome, keep up updated!
guess I should add that my wimpy 30' copper chiller is not enough for an 11 gallon batch. It's taking forever to chill!
OK update already.
Due to horrible efficiency, ~50%, the lambic will not be dilluted rather 3gallons of wort will be used. OG for the wort 'corrected' to 1.056. The WLP570 for the triple has been used once before in a beer that attained 12% ABV. The purpose of using the once used yeast is to encourage the braggot to come closer to 14%abv.
Ok I took pictures but since I have class at 0900 they wont make it up until tomorrow.
And the process begins(well last night)...
Boil time, with protein nasties
yea its 8.5 inches deep
No steam this time
|All times are GMT. The time now is 06:49 PM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.