Filtering Joes ANcient Orange Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drevilz4l

Reaction score
My batch of Joe's ancient orange mead is about ready to bottle. In the recipe it says to filter it. I was wondering if this is required, and if it is are there an easy way to do it without purchasing anything too expensive. Thanks.

if there's a lot of pulp in it, you could put something like a nylon hop bag, nylon stocking, or a nylon paint strainer over your racking cane, and that will filter out any larger particulate matter, like pulp or bits of spices.

I've worked with bread yeast in meads before...and is exactly why I chose a true brewing yeast when I modified the recipe for JOAM.

Yeah I just bottled my first batch of JOAM but next I try it I will definitely be racking it a couple of times. Because it has a great color, but its not too impressive with clearly bread yeast and sediment in the bottle!

Turn it upside down and shake the slices down into the neck of the bottle then poke a finger in there and pull em out one at a time. Or you can use a coathanger.

If you suscumb to the urge to chew on an orange peel or two while doing this you will be well and truely buzzed by the time the carboy is cleaned.

I have a great method for getting fruit out of carboys; you can use the same method for getting corks out of bottles.
I use a small white trash bag and collapse it until I can fit the closed in into the carboy or wine bottle. I then blow into the open end of the bag until it fills the inside of the container. Slightly twist the open end of the bag and start to pull it out. As the bag collapses it will grab everything inside and it will pull out.
No fuss no muss!

Latest posts

Back