Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > to figure out the ratio?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 02:43 AM   #1
Plumeja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default to figure out the ratio?

i am thinking of buying a gallon of local honey or even two if the price is right. if i was to use one gallon of honey how do you figure out how much water to use?
i was thinking as well of when i rack off into the second that i would take a couple of one gallon jugs and put frozen fruit into them and fill with mead to flavour them. sound like a good idea or not?
need to figure out how to figure the ratio

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 25

A gallon of honey is ~ 12 lbs. I use 1 gal of honey plus 5 gals cider for my cyser, so my gravity is usually in the low 100's to 110's with the extra sugar from the cider. If you did a 5 gal total volume batch with just water diluting the honey, you'd probably have OG's in the 1.090's, which would put you solidly in the lower ranges of a standard mead. Add some fruit puree or juice in secondary, and you've got a great melomel....

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply