Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > A few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #31
Brewer1986
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfrost

I was thinking or making a few batches of plain Mead and then back sweeten with multiple honeys and spices. Do you think that would work?
I sure do. I don't know how well the spices will take but I say give it a try! And let me know how it goes I would love to hear and possibly try it myself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #32
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer1986 View Post

I sure do. I don't know how well the spices will take but I say give it a try! And let me know how it goes I would love to hear and possibly try it myself.
I plan on heating the (cheap) honey up to about 100 to 110 add spice back. And or fruit. Store and let simmer for an HR then cool then back sweeten my mead

Old 12-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #33
Brewer1986
Recipes 

Quote:

I plan on heating the (cheap) honey up to about 100 to 110 add spice back. And or fruit. Store and let simmer for an HR then cool then back sweeten my mead
That sounds like an awesome plan! It sounds stable. Don't burn your honey and be sure to taste I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Old 12-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #34
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer1986 View Post

That sounds like an awesome plan! It sounds stable. Don't burn your honey and be sure to taste I can't wait to hear how it turns out!
Thank you for the vote of confidence think I will get started o. That tomorrow mite take one of my 1yr Meads and test it out..naw. probly start from scratch

Old 12-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #35
Smiddy1488
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Added 1 tsp citric acid yesterday and found out i had too much vodka for it to be able to push through the airlock. It's bubbling every 8-10 seconds now though!

Old 12-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #36
scottv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I need to get some cheap vodka myself. I've been using water with just s little bit of sanitizer. I haven't had any problems.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #37
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Taaka. Vodka is cheap and good LOL I use it in mixed drinks 6.60 a liter

Old 12-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #38
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfrost View Post
-----snip----
Vodka is cheap -----snip-----
Not here it isn't matey.

last time I checked, the excise duty on spirits works out at about £6/nearly 10$ per bottle - and while we don't usually pay VAT/sales tax on food/food products, if it's considered "luxury" food, it gets the usual 20% on top, hence even the cheapest vodka is IRO of £11 - £12 per bottle.

Which explains why people here are less likely to use it in an airlock, but wouldn't be too bothered if it was going into a batch for fortification. An airlock evaporates, effectively wastes it, fortification preserves it so it gets drunk later on......

Quote:
If you do a bit of research how spice extracts are made, you'd find that for most of the spices commonly used for flavouring like this (stuff like cloves, vanilla, cinnamon, etc), they are "extracted" by steeping in higher strength alcohol (vodka right the way up to high strength spirit like "everclear"). So it's actually usually easier to add them as whole spices, but in small amounts, given that you'd have no way of telling how powerful the flavour can be (cloves are a very good example of that). So say, 1 clove per gallon of "finished" mead, then leave it for 3 or 4 weeks and taste for spicing level. Multiple spices can be hard to work out as some of the spice flavours will mask or counteract others, so it would be best to do this one flavour at a time - of course, that makes it quite a slow process, but it's better to use too little, than to use too much (too much clove can quickly make a batch undrinkable). Once the flavour is in the batch, if you use too much, it's virtually impossible to get it out......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 12-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #39
Smiddy1488
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
I need to get some cheap vodka myself. I've been using water with just s little bit of sanitizer. I haven't had any problems.
Yeah don't think it makes too much of a difference but it's a little bit better to obviously

Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #40
scottv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I think it's more of a factor if the vodka gets into the must no harm no foul. If the sanitizer gets in eeeeew. But I have been careful.

Quick Reply