Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuel

Reaction score
When no bubbles come out of the airlick does that mean fermentation is finished? Does that mean that the sugar was all consumed? If i add more sugar to the same yeast that gravitated to the bottom will it convert it to alcohol? Or is that yeast at the bottom of the fermenter dead?

Maybe, yes, no. in that order.
Stable gravity readings are the only sure way to know that you are done with a ferment. Or extremely long times... but gravity is reliable.
Yes, that yeast will continue to work. it's called a yeast cake and a very good way to start a new batch. No, it's not dead.... yet.

BigKahuna said:
Maybe, yes, no. in that order.
Stable gravity readings are the only sure way to know that you are done with a ferment. Or extremely long times... but gravity is reliable.
Yes, that yeast will continue to work. it's called a yeast cake and a very good way to start a new batch. No, it's not dead.... yet.

Ok thanks do ihave to stir the yeast that is in the bottom, with the sugar in order that the yeas works again or do i just pour the sugar in the fermenter?

Why do you want to pour sugar in the fermenter? Are you thinking your fermentation is stuck? Did you measure gravity with a hydrometer? Are you within a few points of your expected FG? Don't pour sugar in, that will just most likely result in nastiness. If your fermentation is stuck they you might be able to repitch, but if you are close 1.025 or less to your FG then you should just leave it alone for another week or so and see what happens. Don't stir anything and don't pick at it.

samuel said:
Ok thanks do ihave to mix the yeast that is in the bottom in order that the yeas works again or do i just pour the sugar in the fermentersfhjhgcs

Ok thanks do ihave to stir the yeast that is in the bottom, with the sugar in order that the yeas works again or do i just pour the sugar in the fermenter?

NO.
I think you may not have clearly stated your intentions.
Is your ferment stuck? by sugar, do you mean just dumping table sugar in, or adding quality fermentables and starting a new batch?

Maybe we need to start over. What are you making, and what was your recipe and method?

Yeah, at the moment it just sounds like you're primary is finished. This isn't a bad thing. What, exactly, are you freaking out about? Tell us a detailed timetable and then ask your question.

Zabuza said:
Yeah, at the moment it just sounds like you're primary is finished. This isn't a bad thing. What, exactly, are you freaking out about? Tell us a detailed timetable and then ask your question.

My primary is finished i have an abv of 10% and i want to raise that percentage. Can i add more sugar to raise that abv?

My primary is finished i have an abv of 10% and i want to raise that percentage. Can i add more sugar to raise that abv?

You could, but I can't imagine why you would want to. You know, unless you're underage and you're trying to make some cheap hooch.

Your in the mead forum, if you have a dry mead that has finished at 10% but were hoping for a bit more, you at the very least want to be adding honey. Adding sugar would just ruin it. Fermented sugar really isnt very tasty...

Back