Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Fatal Mistake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
1Brotherbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fatal Mistake

So I bottled one batch of a braggot today. I realized at the end that when I was cleaning everything before hand I'm not entirely sure that I rinsed out the raking tube and hose or even put it in the sanitizer. I might have just primed the line with the solution of Oxy Clean and just started transfering the batch into the priming bucket.

I'm probably not going to drink this I'm just going to see if it carbs and then probably down the drain. Not the best day I've been having.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The high level of alcohol will likely protect it from any major infection. Don't dump it- my guess is it will be perfectly fine, if not great!

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 05-12-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
1Brotherbill
Recipes 

I'm not worried about the infection aspect it's the few ounces of Oxy Clean in the batch now. I read online that it is made from Sodium Percarbonate which breaks down in water to Hydrogen Peroxide and Soda Ash. Soda Ash is used in most water softeners. So maybe it's all right maybe it's not I don't know at this point.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
skidaddytn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bet you have been in bars before that have accidentally gotten that much cleaner into your beer... a few ounces of diluted solution on 5 gallons.... don't dump it til you try it....

Old 05-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
Rainyn
Recipes 

Do you think the Oxy Clean is in every bottle, or just the first bottle or two? Maybe subsequent bottles are okay?
I totally sympathize with you. The loss of mead is a sad loss indeed.
Good luck!

Old 05-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 2090

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Brotherbill View Post
So I bottled one batch of a braggot today. I realized at the end that when I was cleaning everything before hand I'm not entirely sure that I rinsed out the raking tube and hose or even put it in the sanitizer. I might have just primed the line with the solution of Oxy Clean and just started transfering the batch into the priming bucket.

I'm probably not going to drink this I'm just going to see if it carbs and then probably down the drain. Not the best day I've been having.
Hey, you're not sure and what's the harm in waiting it out and trying it? It its ruined, then toss it. If its not, enjoy. No reason to preemptively dump, and don't beat yourself up about this - its not the worst thing that's ever been done while brewing/vinting.

Quick Reply