falls bounty cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadig39

Reaction score
I have a batch I started in late October to honor the birth of my daughter. O.G 1.120 F.G 1.00 This seems pretty dry to me. Has anyone else done this one from Ken Schramms book? Should I back sweeten or will it mellow with a years time?

yes it will mellow with time - but it will still be dry since it finished at 1.000.

where are you in the process? if you're bulk conditioning, and want it a bit sweeter, you could add some campden and K-sorbate and then backsweeten to get where you want.

I racked to secondary last week. I do have campden on hand. Sweeten with honey or brown sugar? Also, after racking there is a lot of headspace in the carboy. Do I fill with water?

Id sweeten with honey myself. And you can dissolve the honey in some boiled water, and that will help with your headspace as well.

I haven't made this recipe specifically - but Schramm's book is awesome!

I've made this, followed Ken Schramm's recipe to the letter. The juice I used was fresh pressed from the orchard & was pure MacIntosh juice, very high in malic acid. Even though the FG was 1.010, it doesn't taste sweet at all. Next time I'll do a MLF to soften it it up a bit, or use different juice. In order to drink what I have of this, I heat it in a pan on the stove & add a couple teaspoons of sugar (white or brown) and a cinnamon stick. Don't let it boil or the alcohol will evaporate, just hot enough to pour into a mug & enjoy a nice hot toddy on a winter day. And to answer your question, yes, it WILL mellow a bit with time. Regards, GF.

Back