Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Fake honey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
fatbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
I think that did it.

I don't have a problem with people making fake honey and selling it for cheap... there's obviously a market for it. It should just be labelled and checked and all that jazz.

nope, fatbloke, Ya'll don't have fake honey, your honey just has horse meat in it. haha.
There's many angles to the horse meat thing i.e. the horse owning middle and upper middle class types getting all precious about their beloved horses, or the liberal types moaning about incorrect/illegal labelling etc, with a few eco nutters saying how its turned them into veggies or even normal working people saying it doesn't really matter as long as its edible and cheap with no food safety issues.

I suppose with the fake honey thing that seems to be mentioned from US sources a lot its more of a labelling thing and that if people want to buy cheap fake honey then as long as its labelled correctly it should be ok so that those who want or need genuine/pure honey can get it without concern..... plus the enforcement authorities can clamp down on such fraudulent activity with a tool like this laser more easily and quickly, to my mind that's gotta be good.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
There's many angles to the horse meat thing i.e. the horse owning middle and upper middle class types getting all precious about their beloved horses, or the liberal types moaning about incorrect/illegal labelling etc, with a few eco nutters saying how its turned them into veggies or even normal working people saying it doesn't really matter as long as its edible and cheap with no food safety issues.

I suppose with the fake honey thing that seems to be mentioned from US sources a lot its more of a labelling thing and that if people want to buy cheap fake honey then as long as its labelled correctly it should be ok so that those who want or need genuine/pure honey can get it without concern..... plus the enforcement authorities can clamp down on such fraudulent activity with a tool like this laser more easily and quickly, to my mind that's gotta be good.

I'm with you. I don't have a problem with fake honey, so long as its not posing as real honey.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
BogdanBoranda1
Recipes 

Organic honey is a healthier choice, some ardent consumers of organic foods also feel that honey produced by organic farmers has a more superior taste than conventionally produced honey, and hence are more ready to pay for the extra cost. I personally also consume such honey but so far could not tell any difference in terms of taste superiority.It tastes different than other Honey varieties and is fast gaining a strong foothold in the honey market. I have been warned that some honey which has been packaged and proclaimed as organic may not be truly organic so we should be very careful while purchasing this.

natural honey
organic honey

Old 03-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Ive seen some sketchy cheap honey that's not honey. But it's labeled "honey flavored syrup" . The only grocery store I buy my honey from is Trader Joes. Otherwise I get it from a farm (during the summer / fall) or get it off an apiary's website.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I posted about this stuff three years ago.

Honey Laundering, the new international scandal.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 661 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanBoranda1 View Post
Organic honey is a healthier choice, some ardent consumers of organic foods also feel that honey produced by organic farmers has a more superior taste than conventionally produced honey....
I finally got tired of standing out in front of the hives every morning shouting 'now be sure you only go to the organic farms' at the ladies as they set out for work.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanBoranda1 View Post
Organic honey is a healthier choice, some ardent consumers of organic foods also feel that honey produced by organic farmers has a more superior taste than conventionally produced honey, and hence are more ready to pay for the extra cost. I personally also consume such honey but so far could not tell any difference in terms of taste superiority.It tastes different than other Honey varieties and is fast gaining a strong foothold in the honey market. I have been warned that some honey which has been packaged and proclaimed as organic may not be truly organic so we should be very careful while purchasing this.

natural honey
organic honey
Most of the "organic" stuff is complete bollocks anway. There's been no scientific proof that there's any difference in nutritional value, flavour is relative and the only possible difference between organic and non-organic products is there may, if "treated" at the wrong time and harvested likewise, still be some chem residues in the "non" version of anything.

Honey is different, because unless like ajdelange says, you can convince the damn bee's only to forage from organic crops, then there's no possibility of honey being so called organic.

Hey ho!

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #18
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1776 Times on 1232 Posts
Likes Given: 3021

If some honey is adulterated with corn syrup anyway, did I give bad advice to the gentleman from S.Korea who was looking to skimp on costs by cutting his honey with corn syrup?

If the crappy honey I am using for my mels is already part corn syrup....

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Quick Reply