Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Extended bulk aging in carboy question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 04:07 AM   #1
Waboom!!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extended bulk aging in carboy question

I plan on aging my 6 gallon Raw Acacia Honey batch (with lalvin EC-1118) in tertiary for 4 years or more. Basically because it will be easier for me to leave it alone and actually fully mature a batch. I have never bulk aged before (for longer than 6 months). Are there any suggestions on when to add stabilizers or finings if any. My intention is to rack to its third vessel- a 6.5 gal carboy after fermentation is totally done, so it is not on lees, and to de-gas with a drill twirler. - thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Considering the times involved, I would not worry about finings as it will clear naturally. I would add KMETA during the racking to the teriary to the range of 75ppm SO2.

If you leave the mead in the secondary for 4 months before the final racking, there would be no need to be concerned about lees acculmulation issues. Also you might read the FAQ on autolysis. It may ease your mind...

FWIW, I've rarely had the need to degas a mead that experienced extended aging.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #3
Waboom!!
Recipes 

thanks man

Old 12-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
TheLadybugTree
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I figure this isn't resurrecting a dead thread since you are aging it 4 years

I just started an orange spice mead this evening. Looking ahead, I plan on letting it ferment for 2 weeks, rack to secondary and wait until its done. Then, adding 1/4 tsp kmeta and degassing. Will likely pickup some K and C to clear. Then bulk aging for at least 1 year. (ideally a few years but that'd be overly optimistic of me)

So, what did you end up doing during the bulk aging? I was thinking 1/4 tsp of kmeta every 6 months, racking only if there are lees present, otherwise just stirring it in.
Then, at bottling, 1/4 tsp kmeta for the 30 bottles.

What do you think? Any other additions I need to be making?

Paul
www.theladybugtree.com

Quick Reply