Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Extended ageing of Mead question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
ceannt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Extended ageing of Mead question

So, I found out recently that I am going to be a Granddaddy!
I was thinking of what I could do to commemorate the event, and provide a “Legacy” for the little guy/girl. What I came up with was to brew up a sack Mead…. A real high gravity kind of thing, with tannins from steeping dead, dried oak leaves off the tree in my yard (I won’t brew until later this fall)… maybe even a bit of caramelized (read burnt) honey in there, (something that takes a good long while to age out) and giving it to my son with instructions to stick it in a closet and forget about it…. To be opened on my Grandchild’s 21st birthday. How is the best way to bottle such a thing? Wine bottles, corked and sealed with wax? Corked Single Malt Scots Whisky bottles sealed with wax? Plain old beer bottles? After all, it’s going to be in there a long time…..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
CuAllaidh
Recipes 

For something like that I'd go for some unique looking wine bottles or scotch bottles cork it and wax it. Sounds like a GREAT idea.

Cú Allaidh Dona
mka Jeff Johnston

The Mead Hall
http://mead.lilleypress.com

Old 09-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I'd probably split the batch and bottle half with crown caps (with or without a wax seal) and I'd bottle the other half using the highest quality cork I could buy (Scott labs USS grade from Presque isle for example) and topping that with a wax seal. I'm not sure which method will have the best chance of suviving 21 years, but I'm betting that some of them will make it.

Medsen

Old 09-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
ceannt
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

thanks for the ideas guys...
odds are I won't be around to see how it turns out..... so I'll have to hang on to some to "sample" a bit sooner.........

Quick Reply