Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Experimental Mead... oh boy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
YeastBeast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Experimental Mead... oh boy

hey all.. complete n00b here and I've got something weird fermenting.

Before I get into what I have...I'd like to ask a couple questions that are probably dumb.

First.. I used lemon curd in an attempt to get rid of it while adding flavor to the mead. It didn't really occur to me that the 'dried egg" in it would be bad until it was already in there... is there any danger?

Second.. I didn't toss raisins in since I thought that the nutrient I added would be sufficient. I followed the directions and put the proper amount in. Are raisins absolutely necessary to make mead?

Thanks..

Last edited by YeastBeast; 03-02-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Bhunter87
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Raisins are not necessary. The egg on Te other hand... Ew that might ba a prob...

Old 03-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Wow... Do keep us informed!

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 03-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
odinsgift
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 88 Posts

This may be of help or bring more questions.
http://www.medievalcookery.com/searc...l?kogeb:24:KBB

This recipe calls for an egg to be cooked, and scraped off during the "boil".
Did your mother make the lemon curd?
It may be an enzyme naturally occurring in the egg, that assists fermentation, or repels certain poor tasting microbes.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
YeastBeast
Recipes 

I started this yesterday and only 1 gallon was created since I didn't know what was going to happen. i used a balloon with a pinhole in it to act as a makeshift airlock. The curd is the only variable.. i also have an orange and some cloves in there I used red star montrachet yeast.

Robertson's Lemon Curd:

sugar, water, corn syrup, palm and canola oil, reconstituted lemon juice, wheat flour, fruit pectin, dried egg, citric acid, salt, lemon oil, sodium citrates, yellow 5 and yellow 6

It looks *foul* ...there's an odd layer inside that appears to be semi solid..and the water jug is bloated to comical proportions.. but it's not exploding or leaking.... yet. it's only been a day.

I sniffed at the escaping CO2 and it doesn't smell bad.. kind of a fake lemon scent you get from a fruit pie.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #6
Machalel
Recipes 

I think the solids will be the oil from the curd that has separated out, but apart from that... no idea!

I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to skim off the oil soids? anyone?

Really interested to see what happens with this one!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
YeastBeast
Recipes 

I'm gonna wait until fermentation is complete before I crack it open.. the yeasties are doing their thing so maybe it'll work out.

I probably should have used a glass carboy instead of a drinking water jug you get at a store... but I don't have any gallon sizes.

If there are any solids left I can just filter them out when I rack it. I'm more concerned with pathogens and toxins.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
Bhunter87
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oops.

Good call

Old 03-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeastBeast View Post
I'm gonna wait until fermentation is complete before I crack it open.. the yeasties are doing their thing so maybe it'll work out.

I probably should have used a glass carboy instead of a drinking water jug you get at a store... but I don't have any gallon sizes.

If there are any solids left I can just filter them out when I rack it. I'm more concerned with pathogens and toxins.
Being worried about opening it is a false assumption. How would you test for how it's progressing without opening, how would you get into it to aerate it daily, until at least the 1/3rd sugar break, how would you get into it to add staggered nutrient addition ?

Fair enough if it's beer your making, but beer makers get overly obsessed. Sure, hygiene for equipment is a good thing, but it's a mead must (of sorts), not a beer wort. Hell, even commercial beer makers don't worry or obsess as much as home beer brewers seem to....

The lemon curd is a slightly unusual ingredient, yet it wouldn't say that it means your brew ranks among the weirdomels. What I would say, is that you're likely to need a fair amount of pectolase to break the pectins down, as jams, jellies and other such products do tend to have a fair amount.

Whether the lemon curd will actually add much flavour to the batch is another question, as Robertsons isn't as "lemony" as home made or other commercially made ones I've tasted.

If you're new to mead making, then here's an excellent link which should answer a fair number of questions you might have.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 03-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
YeastBeast
Recipes 

My post count is in the single digits...

I have no idea what I'm doing, and I've only tried the 'no boil' method.. I've made a ton of mistakes that I don't even know where to start.

I've "set it and forget it" with my previous batches.. ie threw the yeast in the mixture and let them run until the fermentation apparently ended.. then i put it into a new container to leave behind the stuff at the bottom and the floating bits of raisin and orange...

I didn't test it, didn't aerate it.. hell I don't even know what a 1/3 sugar break is...

The only thing I'm really worried about.. my main question for this particular batch is.. Is this dangerous?

If it's okay and not hazardous... then I'll worry about what to add to make it palatable.

Quick Reply