Exotic meads?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahallasbrew2

Reaction score
Meads or brews made of exotic fruits like buddas hand, kiwano or horned melon, mangosteen, dragons fruits, pomagrants, star fruits, maybe even a durin for the really.risky tastebuds im kinda debting on making something like this what do you think?

It's always fun to try. Keep notes for hbters. I have heard of pomegranate but never tried. Not really exotic but my persimmon mead is to die for. I also scored a lot of blueberries one year that ended up tasting like a whiskey blend after two years.

liquiditynerd said:
It's always fun to try. Keep notes for hbters. I have heard of pomegranate but never tried. Not really exotic but my persimmon mead is to die for. I also scored a lot of blueberries one year that ended up tasting like a whiskey blend after two years.

Ooh a persimmon i love those i never thought of putting them in a mead, how does it taste im very intrested in this recipe

Um...pimpin. No really it has a cinnamon flavor with notes of cider. Let me dig through my recipes

It appears i did five batches that day and didn't write a good description.

4 persimmons ( not sure which type but I froze them overnight to turn them to mush )
~4 lbs honey
Pasteur champagne yeast from red star

That was for a Carlos Rossi jug so ~3/4 gallon

My notes say * very good! Repeat in 5 gal. So I know it was a keeper. Now where are those persimmon trees? Lol

Its sounds pretty im intrested cause i love persimmon and theres a tree in ku neighbors yard ill go snatch a few

Haha im definetly gonna give it a whirl them trees are just over a fence behind their house i dont think there in bloom atm but thia spring and summer its loaded down with them like hundreds upon hundreds

Meads or brews made of exotic fruits like buddas hand, kiwano or horned melon, mangosteen, dragons fruits, pomagrants, star fruits, maybe even a durin for the really.risky tastebuds im kinda debting on making something like this what do you think?

I say go for it! There are a few people on this site who've used mangosteen, pomegranite & I think even starfruit. If you use the really exotic, the rest of us would appreciate a flavour description. I've never even heard of a fruit called "Buddah's hand," much less tasted one before. I think the only one that would put me off would be the durian fruit BLECH!
Keep us updated on your progress.
Regards, GF.

A persimmon is a fruit that has a sweet tangy taste its a littte stringy it looks kinda like a apricot cept its not fuzzy its more wax skinned there amazing!

Bugeaud said:
Can someone tell me wtf is persimmon lol?

Come to North Carolina. The trees exist in all 100 counties. It's different from most other common fruits. When ripe it is overly soft. They aren't usually ready until they fall off the tree. When they hit the ground they will sometimes split down one side. You have to beat the yellow jackets and wasps to them.

Okay thanks. :) I live in Canada and I don't eat too many tropical fruits as they are really expensive. I've seen a durian once in my life and got a chance to eat durian icecream once..... but I passed. (ice cream parlour with the most flavours in the world here in vancouver, over 700 flavours available.)

Bugeaud said:
Wow, that sounded a lot like advert lol.

I have always known of persimmons. I grew up with a tree in the yard. There is a tree less than 100 yards from me at work. I didn't know how widespread they are until I saw it in our state tourism magazine. So yes, advertisement.

Ive heard of those and ive seen them om les strouds show lol ive wanted to try them for a very long time i might order me some from south america or ttry to grow a tree in a green house i wonder if you could put a lemon and tomato in a brew and have it taste like lemato (its what i call them haha)

I may be wrong but I think they are pretty tart, so I think they would be great in a sweeter mead or with a sweeter fruit to take the edge off.

Anybody ever try making paw-paw mead. My guess is it would be quite good. The trouble would be getting enough paw-paws and not eating them before making the mead.

dannypo said:
Anybody ever try making paw-paw mead. My guess is it would be quite good. The trouble would be getting enough paw-paws and not eating them before making the mead.

Whats a paw-paw?

lol Dude, you come up with some of the weirdest crap to throw in the brew. Are you starting a brewery? Not picking, either...I'm sincerely curious. Is there a driving motivation to make things like ginger-rosemary-kumquat mead other than having super adventurous tastebuds?

After reading this, it makes me want to make a prickly pear cactus fruit mead. Now if only I knew where to get them...

vahallasbrew2 said:
Whats a paw-paw?

It's a fruit native to the east coast of North America. About the size and shape of a potato. The pulp inside has the consistency of custard and kind of tastes like a cross between a banana and a mango. Delicious.

Aquavitae said:
lol Dude, you come up with some of the weirdest crap to throw in the brew. Are you starting a brewery? Not picking, either...I'm sincerely curious. Is there a driving motivation to make things like ginger-rosemary-kumquat mead other than having super adventurous tastebuds?

Why be like that? You're on a site where we are encouraged to try new things and ask tons of questions. If you want to hold to traditional "honey and water" mead, feel free, but don't call him out because he wants to make something interesting and maybe totally individual...

Thanks

Aquavitae said:

Its ok i know your not picking, im just experimenting with different things it's what I like to do being that I've only started brewing I've made like 100 recipes I wanna try the stranger the recipe the more I'll want to try it and if it taste good I'll tell everyone about it, oh and I do wanna start my own line one day but I really wanna open a liquor store that's my biggest dream if I do I can sell my brews for all to try i find brewing mead fun exciting cause I brew a mead and have to wait a month or two to taste the anticipation is great. Odd fruits to make odd brews, like andrew says if it looks good try it and I do.
Thanks Bhunter for the help on this and my other post.

Actually it was loquat with crepe Myrtle honey with three sprigs of rosemary, 2 sticks of cinnamon, and 1 jalepeno. Other than my taste buds, the loquat came from the back yard tree, the honey came from a friend that keeps bees a block away, the rosemary came from my giant rosemary bush near the garden and I grew the jalepenos in the garden from seed.

2 sticks of cinnamon 25 cents
1 packet of yeast $1.50
Collecting, cultivating, and consuming MY mead............

Do you try the fruits before you formulate recipes? Also, how do you come up with the recipes if you have never worked with the fruit before? Are you concerned with the cost of some of the exotic stuff or losing money if a combination is particularly nasty?

Heh you could start a series of Youtube videos. Show the mixing of the recipe and the tasting after it ages. Call it Will It Brew?

Aquavitae said:
Do you try the fruits before you formulate recipes? Also, how do you come up with the recipes if you have never worked with the fruit before? Are you concerned with the cost of some of the exotic stuff or losing money if a combination is particularly nasty?

Heh you could start a series of Youtube videos. Show the mixing of the recipe and the tasting after it ages. Call it Will It Brew?

I haved some of the fruits I named and I just whent off what they tasted like the others that I've never had I whent off descriptions of what they tasted like, I know a website that'll send me exotic fruit 12 times a year for like 89 bucks and it ranges from buddas hand to durin to lematos. So I can get the fruits no problem. That's a good idea I have a channel already to lol so I'm that far in the YouTube part.

Why be like that? You're on a site where we are encouraged to try new things and ask tons of questions. If you want to hold to traditional "honey and water" mead, feel free, but don't call him out because he wants to make something interesting and maybe totally individual...

Thanks
I didn't get the impression he was being "like that." Sounded to me he was being entirely in fun, and he did say he was being sincerely curious.

Ginger rosemary kumquat mead actually sounds good lol

I actually LIKE durian, but given the way odors get released through the airlock, I'd have to ferment that one outdoors. Losing the smell might actually improve it.

Back