Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > The 'Eugenia Uniflora' mead experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
IdoNisso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Small update:
Today I picked some more fruit off the tree, I have more then 3 kgs and i'm pretty sure that's enough for a 10L batch.
The day continued with purchasing the honey (and last minute organic raisins) and then, finally, making the mead.
OG - 1.115

After filling the new plastic fermentor i bought last week, I think it is possible to add the fruit and not overflow, so new plan:
Wait till 2/3 sugar break, add half of the fruit in primary, rack to secondary with other half of fruit once fermentation calms down. Maybe, if i'm feeling creative, I'll throw in some oak chips at some point.

More updates will arrive as soon as I have 'em.

2013-05-14-12.54.14.jpg   2013-05-14-13.26.39.jpg  

Fermenting: Contest Falconer's Flight IPA, Contest Brown Porter.

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Stout, Plum Belgian Ale, Single Hop Simcoe IPA, Calvados-Oak Aged IPA, El-Dorado & Calypso DIPA, Pitango Melomel.

Next Up: Blood Orange Summer Wheat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #12
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Excellent..........

That second picture looked rather like a pot on the hob. You weren't heating the honey must were you ?

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
IdoNisso
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nope, added the honey to the water when the heat was off at 50C and stirred like a maniac.

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Stout, Plum Belgian Ale, Single Hop Simcoe IPA, Calvados-Oak Aged IPA, El-Dorado & Calypso DIPA, Pitango Melomel.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
IdoNisso
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another quick update.
I wasn't home at all since I pitched my yeast, so I had no idea what was going on there. Today I arrived and was bummed to see that no fermentation was going on, AT ALL. I opened the plastic bucket to check no infection was up and to my surprise, the must was still clean and smelled amazing. The fermentation never even started.

Quickly ran back to my HBS and bought another pack of yeast. I have no clue what happened/I did wrong, but 30 minutes after I pitched the second pack of yeast the fermentation picked up vigorously.

I suspect the yeast package I pitched at first was bad somehow, but now it's all good.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #15
IdoNisso
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey guys,
Updating on what's going on with the mead:

Yesterday I brewed a batch of beer, so I had all my gear sanitized. Decided to use that opportunity to open up the mead and maybe rack it with the fruit if it's close enough.
It had a SG of 1.060 so I went for it.

Racked the mead onto 3.5 (!) kgs of thawed fruit and a bit of vodka to make sure it's clean. When it was still clear, it smelled and tasted still very sweet but really really good.

I forgot to take pics this time, though, so none will be uploaded. Take my word for it - the deep red/dark orange color the fruit gave the mead is beautiful.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
svenalope
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd recommend crushing the fruit and maybe removing the stones. Fruit skin is supposed to be a pretty good barrier for keeping fruit stuff in. I tried making a wine with intact fruit (eating grapes) one time and the fruit hardly did anything for flavor. And the stones - I don't know anything about your particular fruit, but my understanding is that some stones can contain undesirable compounds (bad flavors or possibly toxic). I don't have any good references off the top of my head, this is just a thing I seem to remember reading somewhere, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.
Oh whoops, looks like my post was two days late. Curious to see how it comes out though!

Old 06-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Take a pic of the fruit if you get a chance, it would be interesting to see what they looked like. WVMJ

Old 07-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
IdoNisso
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottled!

Hey guys,
I finally got around to bottle this.
First off, I have to say - this is one of the most unique things I've ever tasted. The fruit tastes have almost taken over completely and there is a mild honey aftertaste. Now, the events of the day:

I opened the fermentor up this morning to check if all is well and got a good whiff of alcohol to my face, almost passed out. It was amazing

You'll probably want to sit down for this: Gravity reading was, and i'm not joking, 1.004! Frickin 14.9% ABV BEFORE accounting the fruit!
I immediately took out all my bottling gear and bottled it all up.

Sadly, I don't have a fridge to chill the fermentor, so it's all hazy..
Got 9.3 liters, total.

In the photos: the bottled Melomel/Mead/whatever-this-is, and the left over fruit in the fermentor. As you can see, the floating fruit is mostly intact but the fruit on the bottom was basically just stones. The yeasties ate it all

I took all the bottles and put them in my wine fridge at 14C. How long do you guys think I can age this?

2013-07-16-11.56.54.jpg   2013-07-16-11.56.35.jpg  

Old 07-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
Vikings
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Did you check hydrometer readings over a few days? If your yeast aren't dead, you could have some bottle bombs waiting to happen.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
IdoNisso
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The airlock showed 0 activity for the last month. I'm pretty sure it's safe.

Quick Reply