Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Ethiopian Mead: Tej

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
maztec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Ethiopian Mead: Tej

I have a lot of Ethiopian clients. One of them recently found out I brew and brought some of his brew into the shop. It was definitely a mead. He called it Tej. He said he would teach me how to make it, but only if I try to make it without his help first (I think he wants to get a good laugh).

Anyway, I'm up to the challenge, but wanted to ask around if anyone has any tips or thoughts on it. Anyone here made Tej or Berz before? Anyone have a recipe for either?

I've read elsewhere that Gesho is a key ingredient. Any tips on the quality of Gesho and making sure you're getting the good stuff?

I admit, I haven't tried to make a mead before, so plan on only putting half my batch this year into Tej, but thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Not seen any other mentions of tej here, but a search of the gotmead forums should produce enough research to be getting on with, as I seem to recall a number of mentions about it there.......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 09-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
bob3000
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dogfish head make a tej. I can dig the recipe out if you want but as far as i remember it is probably not 100% authentic. If you can find it watch the episode of sam's Calagione TV show where he makes it.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Here is a thread on this site that I participated in a long while back all about Tej:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/tej-...d-beer-335363/

I have a link in there to a site that gave me a lot of insight to Tej making. There is also a recipe there that the OP posts. Hope this helps.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's actually a lot of information about Tej on here, talked a lot about it when The Sam Caligione Tv show on Discovery came out. I even posted info on where to find Gesho, one of the specific ingredients that go it it. And a few folks brewed it. In Detroit there's a large Ethiopian Community, and there's several Resteraunts here, including what now is a chain of places called "The Blue Nile" that was started by the former chef of the President of Ethiopia. I've been drinking Tej since I was old enough to drink (I'm addicted to Ethiopian Food.) They even have their own brand available in a couple wine shops around.

Here's a thread on Tej

Here's someone's take on a Tej Beer I just found. I think it's a take on DogFish Head's beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
maztec
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks guys! I had tried to search for Tej on the forum, but was getting the result that "Tej" was too short to search for .

Old 09-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztec View Post
Thanks guys! I had tried to search for Tej on the forum, but was getting the result that "Tej" was too short to search for .
maybe something like "tej ethiopian mead" would have done the trick ?

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I did an advance search for titles with Ethiopian in it with the parameters set for "show threads only."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply