Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Energizer 'Containing' DAP vs. Pure DAP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
jguy898
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Energizer 'Containing' DAP vs. Pure DAP

I have a question about the two.

SNA's always call for DAP, all I have is a bottle of L.D Carlson Yeast energizer that says, "Contains DAP".

Can you substitute this energizer containing DAP for pure DAP when following an SNA?

Jonas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Yes

Old 01-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
jguy898
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

What an overly complicated, singular piece, of informational beauty GinKing, my head almost exploded

Well then, one more to hit ya with. Can it be substituted with the Same Amounts, or must there be compensation?

Jonas

Old 01-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Bush_84
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd follow the directions on the bottle. I use both an energizer and a nutrient. There is likely some overlap in using both, but I haven't really investigated their ingredients that closely. Typically what I have done in the past is take the total amount required and divided it into 3 staggered additions.

Primary- Raspberry Melomel - Raspberry Cider
Secondary-Welch Grape Wine - Mapfelwien
Bottled- Mott's Cider - Strawberry Mead - Hard Lemonade - The 84 Bushwacker (~11 abv cider) -Mixed Berry Cider - Graff
-The 84 Bushwacker v2.0

Old 01-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
jguy898
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush_84 View Post
I'd follow the directions on the bottle. I use both an energizer and a nutrient. There is likely some overlap in using both, but I haven't really investigated their ingredients that closely. Typically what I have done in the past is take the total amount required and divided it into 3 staggered additions.
That is all good, too, but I'm going to be following Schramm's SNA (with a little mosh-up of Hightest's) and I just needed to know for SNA purposes, which doesn't require the use of just plain Nutrient. It's always Fermaid K or Surperfood.

Jonas

Old 01-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Just my opinion, but I'd use the same amounts or just a slight bit more. I believe it is mostly DAP.

I currently use Fermaid K, and DAP, but I made mead for a long time using "yeast nutrient" and "yeast energizer". I don't know when they started selling Fermaid K, but I didn't hear about them till 3-4 years ago. Most LHBS in my area still sell nutrient and energizer, but don't carry Fermaid K. Why? I don't know. Sorry if I'm overly verbose with this response.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
mummasan
Recipes 

I was wondering the same thing b/c my LHBS carries a product similar to what is in the OP except it is Brewcraft Yeast Energizer. I wasn't sure how I could use it...could it be subbed for the DAP only or subbed for the DAP and nutrient (Fermaid K)? It would be helpful to know what is in the 'yeast energizer' products.

I ended up using pure DAP and Fermaid K for my nutrient additions because I wanted to follow the directions in the sticky.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguy898 View Post
Can you substitute this energizer containing DAP for pure DAP when following an SNA?
You can, but such energizer product will add less nitrogen than DAP when using equivalent weights so it may provide a bit less than the recipe calls for. I'm not sure exactly what the YAN content of the LD Carlson product is, but many yeast energizers have about 1/2 the nitrogen content of pure DAP.

Medsen

Quick Reply