Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > End-of-the-World Mead recipes - Mayan inspired

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #71
Machalel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Wow, this sounds awesome!

I've gotta get me an End-Of-Times Mead! :P

hmmm... i'm thinking of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, royal jelly and "burnt honey" (Bochet?)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #72
WineIsRed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I guess this idea died...

but FYI - I am drinking a batch of this that is 1.5 years old and it's great!

Brew what you want. If you want to drink it in 6 months, then brew something that will be ready in 6 months. If you want an EPIC brew that will take years to mature and taste awsome - then grow up and brew an epic brew!

Cheers - and if I'm alive on 12/22/2012, I'll start another batch of this!

Old 11-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #73
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Going to be making the flavor additions to my second mocha madness mead this month. Should be about 21% ABV. Got to get the coffee and cacao nibs added in steps. Should have 3-3.5 gallons going to bottles next year. If the world hasn't ended at least. Might start the base mead for a 25% batch soon too.

For the record, the 21% batch was started last December. I'm not planning to bottle for another 10-12 months. Will see how it is at that time, but I suspect it will need some more aging time. Got some 14% batches started the same time (first week of December 2011) that I'm going to start bottling. The maple gets bottled first.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #74
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Mayan's made no such prediction, but it's a great excuse for a mead anyway.

I live right in the middle of El Mundo de Maya and something that figured heavily in Mayan culture, and still does, was Cocoa. In the highlands of Guatemala pure handmade chocolate is readily available and inexpensive. One of my favorite things, which I like more than chocolate, is roasted cocoa "nibs". These parts of the cocoa pod are roasted as part of the chocolate making process and they are way yummy. I've used cocoa in Stouts and it was delicious, but maybe more sparingly in a mead...possibly in combination with some vanilla sounds good!

A cartoon attached which you really should work into the label.

They also made a hallucinogenic substance from the excretions of a particular type of toad here...another idea for ingredient just in case the world does end...at least you won't care!

And, I even hate to mention this, but corn (maize) is central to everything Mayan. They still make a fermented drink from it. A bit of corn would certainly be appropriate, but I hate to think of it in a mead, maybe just work it into the label.

2012-comic.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #75
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxTalon View Post
... and I'd like to put a vial or two of my blood into it. Come on... if you're going to do an apocalypse brew... gotta go all the way!

I will have it medically drawn...
Come on! "Medically drawn". That's not "going all the way" nor is it historically accurate! If you really want to do it right then you should research Mayan bloodletting rituals. These involved piercing the tongue or penis with a stingray spine while under the influence of psychoactive drugs.

Don't be a wimp -- go all the way!

Quick Reply