Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > End-of-the-World Mead recipes - Mayan inspired

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 03:03 AM   #41
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Maybe a bit of maple syrup would help, but I'm more stabbing in the dark... I'm combining flavors that I already know what the combination will bring. Mocha is a pretty set combination. What you made is more in the unknown area... It could, very well, age into something very different, and extremely good. I just think it's far too early to mess with it more. I think it would be better to let it ride for a good amount of time and then start tweaking it...

Just my take on it... I'm sure there are more people that have done wild things with mead that can help... At least I hope so...

Seeing where you are, that could be difficult... Although you should be able to pick up a newer keg without too much issue. Or just keep it in a glass carboy while it ages. I do hope you have someplace with stable temperatures that you can store it... Hopefully in the 40-70F range (better in the 60's for a high if possible)...

I do think the tea you used is the cause of the flavor issues... Although it could just be because the batch is still so very young...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 03:45 AM   #42
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are no flavour issues, well, none that I know of (I haven't tasted it since last week, but it was tasting nice a chocolate-y with a sort of citrus-y taste to it). I was describing the smell in my last post

I will definitely leave it alone for a good few months, there is a chance (.. a high chance I hate to admit) that this will be terrible. But I'm a scientist, and another experiment is fine by me!

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Old 04-06-2011, 03:49 AM   #43
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If it's just smell, I believe it will pass given enough time... What yeast did you use in it? That's probably what you're getting the odor from, which can be normal depending on the strain...

SO, just RDWHAHB and let it do what it needs, for as long as it takes... After all, it's not the end of the world... yet...

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 04-06-2011, 04:12 AM   #44
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I used EC-1118, and did the usualy degas/nutrient addition until the 1/3rd break. It started smelling sulfury after that so I added some more nutrient a few days apart which allowed for a chocolate smell to come back.

I have no doubt that it's the yeast, it's the first time I've used EC-1118. I usually use a no-name wine yeast I picked up at my local brew shop because no one wanted it. It's the best yeast I have ever used. It eats through anything, no sulfur smells and I've even pitched it dry into a lemonade must with no problems at all.

I would be RDWHAHB, but I'm at work. Just trying to pass the time trying to work out how to get that cookie-type flavour. I remember reading about it somewhere, but i forget where. I guess I'll do some research when I get home on Got Mead?.

Secondary:

Old 04-06-2011, 04:33 AM   #45
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I didn't have that smell from EC-1118 when I've used it... Must be something else in your recipe that prompted it...

I will say that it's generally not advised to feed after the 1/3 break.

Research on Got Mead? about sulfur smell post 1/3 break to see what they advise...

I'm starting to try the other Lalvin strains, to see what they bring to the batches. Hard to really say until the batches are actual done, and ready for drinking though. Which will be months away for most of them.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 04-06-2011, 04:45 AM   #46
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I know it's not generally accepted, I only did it twice then I thought screw it, I don't want to keep opening up anymore just in case.

I'll report back in a few weeks when I rack it over as to the taste and smell. (this sulfur better dissipate!)

Secondary:

Old 04-06-2011, 04:48 AM   #47
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just blame the smell on the household pet... Or family member...

Personally, I wouldn't really worry if it's just the smell... Check with the Got Mead? guru's to see what they come back with... I suspect they might just tell you to rack sooner than you were thinking. If it's already hit FG, then there's not much harm in racking a little earlier than you were planning to (so unlike with beer)...

I'm so very tempted to take taste samples of my mead batches... I'm holding off so that I cam be even more impressed with how they've developed since last tasting...

Fermenting
K1:

Old 04-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #48
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I'm so very tempted to take taste samples of my mead batches... I'm holding off so that I cam be even more impressed with how they've developed since last tasting...
I'll go on Got Mead? tonight when I get home from work. My Banana mead/metheglin whatever you want to classify it as was borderline undrinkable when I got it out of the primary. I've only tasted it once since then but damn, the change was amazing. It went from a watery, bitter burning (from ABV) drink to a almost reasonable white wine with a banana background. I can't wait to see how it goes in a few years (supposed to take around 2 years to age out).

Secondary:

Old 04-06-2011, 05:47 AM   #49
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My blackberry melomel already passed the HOT stage... To me, it was a bit tart, so I've blended it with my traditional mead (topped it off from the 5 gallon batch, which is why I now have three 3 gallon batches, when I started with two 3 gallon and one 5 gallon batches)...

My traditional was sweeter than I wanted it to be about two months ago... I think it's almost time to take samples of both of those, plus the madness batch... They'll be 5 months old pretty soon...

Fermenting
K1:

Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #50
HopHead24
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you think using cocoa nibs will work in place of the cocoa powder as well as whole vanilla beans. Not sure how much to use.....

Primary 1 & 2: Burton Ale until 12/6/12

Quick Reply