Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > End-of-the-World Mead recipes - Mayan inspired

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #31
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks so much I'll check it out, I've learnt all I know from this forum and this forum only. My first mead was the banana mead I mentioned before that I adapted from a wine recipe, which is going pretty well. I need to get some more honey for it though! My previous brewing experience is pretty much just apfelweins and assorted 'wines/ciders' (like hard lemonade and ginger beer) because I personally am not much of a beer drinker.

I will use the oak chips then, I'll plan a shopping trip for the weekend to get my honey, oak chips and vanilla and hopefully start it on Sunday. If I have any problems you can expect a PM over the next few days.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #32
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Put this down tonight, final OG was around 1.104 or there-abouts (had to cut out some ingredients due to conversion from imperial to metric). Smells amazing, tastes even more amazing. Can't wait for this to be done.

Only problem is... it looks like it's going to be a hard job getting the carboy clean again.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #33
OneCerebralSamurai
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I racked mine to secondary last night. SG = 1.014 (OG = 1.142).

It had a little fruity sweetness up front, and a little alcohol heat in the finish, and just a touch of chocolate flavor in between. It wasn't exactly good, but it wasn't terrible either.

I added the remaining 4oz of cacao and 1oz of vanilla, and will let it sit for another month before I think about racking it again. I'll see if I can put together "part 3" of my video of making this sometime during the next week.

Last edited by OneCerebralSamurai; 03-22-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #34
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

My mods: I used fresh vanilla (one bean, split and scraped) which I steeped in the tea. For the tea I used one packet of chai tea and then the rest black.

This doesn't smell too good to be honest, kinda like an off-chocolate smell. Kinda like when you have chocolate sitting in the pantry for too long and it starts to mottle into a white/light brown colour.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 AM   #35
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Damn, this thing is going crazy. It's fizzing so much that it sounds like someone is cooking popcorn, and the airlock is going off 2-3 times every 10 seconds! Smells like a hot chocolate!

Old 04-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #36
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Finished fermenting, prominent sulfur smell with a small amount of chocolate in the background... not inviting at all. I'll be leaving this in primary for around another week or two.

I was thinking, how can I get a cookie flavour in this? Can I roast some oatmeal or something else? I can't imagine anything better than heating some of this up on a cold night and it tasting like hot chocolate cookies.

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Old 04-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #37
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

oldmate, give it more time before you start trying to mess with it... At only two weeks old, it's not even an infant in mead time... I'd give it at least 4-6 months before deciding to mess around with it at all. Better to go an even year.

Once fermentation is complete (usually more than two weeks for it to hit the actual FG, take SG readings a week apart), and you've racked it a few times (about once a month), put it into a corny keg and then stock it away in a fairly cool place (basement temps should work well) for a year, or more... Check on it mid-2012 and see if it needs anything done at that point...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 04-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #38
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The question still remains! I was just making sure in case it needs to stay in primary for an addition for the flavour I am looking for.

Secondary:

Old 04-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #39
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Don't think of it like a beer (since it's not)... It's going to be in vessels/carboy's/keg for the better part of a year (if not longer) so you have plenty of time to tweak flavors later.

Most flavor additions, with mead, are done post fermentation anyway. I have my mocha madness mead that I fermented the base for normally, then started adding flavors to. The last thing I added was a vanilla bean (split) over a month ago... Which reminds me, I should sample it to see where it's at... I'll probably rack it into a clean jug (it's a 1 gallon batch, so a single bean could be enough)... I'm thinking of using some oak cubes in it for a month before racking it again and letting it sit for a few more months. I'll have to decide, at that point, if I should bottle it, or let it stay in bulk/batch form longer... BTW, I started this late November (2010)...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 04-06-2011, 01:54 AM   #40
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I have a mead currently at 6 months, and I am only beginning to tweak the flavour as well(trying to bring out more of a banana taste, although bananas for some reason don't want to lend their flavour to it).

The only reason I am asking is because I would have no idea what to do to get the taste I am looking for. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated just so I can get into researching it with a more specific keyword search etc. This in turn led me to ask since my mead is still in primary, because there are only some flavours that you can get from a primary fermentation/fermentation at all. I would hate to have a 5/6 month old mead to have to undergo another fermentation just because I didn't do it first off! It would go all cloudy again, and a lot of profanities would be used

Also, reading over this post it makes it seem like I'm not grateful for your help, that isn't so! Thanks for the info.. now I wish i had a keg to store it in.

Secondary:

Quick Reply