Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > End-of-the-World Mead??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
OneCerebralSamurai
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default End-of-the-World Mead??

I just spent a couple hours reading every post about the Leap Year Mead that several of you have going. I really like the idea of being part of such an endeavor, so I was wondering if anyone had plans for doing an “End-of-the-World” mead? You know, the end of the world being 12/21/12 and all that!

Having a special brew to toast on 12/20/12 as the last day of the world seems appropriate – and in the off chance that the world survives, having a nice Holiday Season mead sounds pretty good too.

Any interest?

Lately I've been on a kick to create semi-sweet, bottle-conditioned, sparkling mead (following a procedure similar to what's tacked in the cider forum). My first attempt at this was spectacularly successful, so I'd like to do something special.

Thanks.

Reason: spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
WoodNeck
Recipes 

You have a specific recipe in mind?

I have some empty jugs.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
abbot555
Recipes 

The date is Mayan right? Maybe something Mayan inspired. Something they used a lot that might taste good in Mead.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Mike_Fox
Recipes 

maybe human sacrifice bloooood(just kiding)
so are there realy a lot of people who belive this 2012 bullsh-it?
cuz I thought it was just a trend like fortune telling or nostradamus,c'mon guys lets not be so naive and believe everythig the greedy networks put on TV just to get good ratings.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
WoodNeck
Recipes 

Corn, hot peppers, alien intelligence?

Old 01-29-2011, 02:53 AM   #6
mbtech
Recipes 

"Most of the Mayan people were farmers. The main staple of their diet was corn also known as maize. Other things that they grew were beans, squash, avocado pear, avocado, sweet potato, guava, chili peppers, cocoa beans, vanilla beans, papaya and tomatoes. They would also eat fruits from trees."

-thinkquest.org

Old 01-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Jugger
Recipes 

Thanks for the post! It got me thinking about a 2012 brew. I think I'll do a cyser based on the "Drop Them Panties Again" or Johnny Jumpup" recipies. Add some extra honey and dried smoked chiles or ginger then carb it up and age till then.....hell ya. I may even call all the boy's over on the 21th of Dec 2012 and drink all 25 bottles.

I'd like to brew what you'alls brew'n to. so post a recipe and let face it together....lol.

Jug

Old 01-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
YogiBearMead726
Recipes 

I bottled my Mayan Chocolate mead a couple of months back. The recipe needs tweaking, but basically I used home toasted cacao nibs, Bourbon vanilla beans, and home-grown habanero peppers. It's pretty dang tasty, and not (despite the habaneros) that spicy. Just a pleasant tingle as it leaves your mouth and heads down the throat.

Is this what you had in mind?

Bottled: Simpleton Stout, Know Rye More Reason IPA, Honey Porter, Darkside Dry-hopped Brown Session

Old 01-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
OneCerebralSamurai
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not sure what I want to do, so that's why I made the post...

I'll probably make a strawberry melomel as soon as strawberry season comes around, but although this might be my favorite brew, it doesn't have any connection to the Mayas.

The thought of a papaya (or squash) mead just doesn't sound very interesting to me.

The Leap Year Mead was a vanilla mead that does sound very interesting to me... maybe we could do that... but it's been done. (I'll probably make a batch of that sometime anyhow.)

I kind of like the idea of a chocolate / hot pepper mead (though the peppers worry me), because these are things the Mayas used and I think this would be a fairly unusual brew – plus I'm a sucker for chocolate.

Instead of having everyone do the exact same recipe, I like the idea of picking a theme, like “vanilla bean” or “chocolate / hot pepper” and have everyone play around with it as they see fit.

Right now I like the idea of using chocolate... and maybe I can be talked into using some hot peppers... but I'm open to ideas.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:04 AM   #10
YogiBearMead726
Recipes 

I know the idea of habaneros is a bit scary, but prepared properly (ie de-veined and de-seeded) and used in moderation, can create the effect of eating spicy chocolate. Plus, habaneros have a pleasant fruity quality that comes through if used lightly.

With that said, I'll cast my vote for the theme of "chocolate/spice". Maybe the spice can be whatever you want, not necessarily peppers, but other spices that pair well with chocolate. I'd also be keen to see different approaches for getting the chocolate flavor. Count me in! Where should we post recipes to?

Bottled: Simpleton Stout, Know Rye More Reason IPA, Honey Porter, Darkside Dry-hopped Brown Session

Quick Reply