Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Easy Braggot 1 gallon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
jcam91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default Easy Braggot 1 gallon

I made this today
About 1 gallon water
2 pounds honey
.5 pounds amber dme
.5 pounds corn sugar
Combined with a little bit of nutrient and lalvin d47 yeast.

Take roughly 1 gallon of water and boil. When boil starts remove from heat and add malt extract, stir, add corn sugar, stir, add honey,(your arm tired yet? Its okay stir a little more).
Cool your by prefered method.
Pitch yeast.

Brew on folks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
jcam91
Recipes 

Update, tatsed this after bottling 3 months later. Yuck, paint thinner. Tasted it last night as an oh what the hell thing. Sweet and delicious. Very surprised how sweet actually.

Just reaffirming that time heals all wounds.

Brew on folks!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcam91 View Post
Update, tatsed this after bottling 3 months later. Yuck, paint thinner. Tasted it last night as an oh what the hell thing. Sweet and delicious. Very surprised how sweet actually.

Just reaffirming that time heals all wounds.
See I would just have used more honey to the recipe and not the corn sugar. It doesnt add anything to the flavour whereas honey does/will.

Either way, it's good you find it ok. I still find it weird how meads change so much with aging, but thats good as young/green meads (especially traditionals) seem too taste bloody horrible.......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Hrahn1995
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah when i make braggots, i typically do 2lbs honey, .5 DME. I also always avoid dextrose when working with meads because it makes that paint thinner like feeling. I also tend to use Dark DME instead of Amber because it provides more flavor to the mead. I am making an Alt Style braggot, and it is made with 2lbs of honey, .5 DDME and .25 Wheat DME. my calculations have it coming out at about 14.5% if it ends at 1.010-1.015. Braggot is probably my favorite mead of all time.

Bright fruitless orchards
Brown sun catchers drift along
Sippin’ hard cider

Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
jcam91
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrahn1995 View Post
Yeah when i make braggots, i typically do 2lbs honey, .5 DME. I also always avoid dextrose when working with meads because it makes that paint thinner like feeling. I also tend to use Dark DME instead of Amber because it provides more flavor to the mead. I am making an Alt Style braggot, and it is made with 2lbs of honey, .5 DDME and .25 Wheat DME. my calculations have it coming out at about 14.5% if it ends at 1.010-1.015. Braggot is probably my favorite mead of all time.
Thanks for the advice! I totally have staid away from the mead for a while. But I will remember this if I do it again

Brew on folks!

Quick Reply