Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Mead Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/)
-   -   Earl Grey Mead. (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/earl-grey-mead-350621/)

Krausen89 08-28-2012 10:20 PM

Earl Grey Mead.
 
so i am going to be brewing a earl grey mead. every recipe i have found has called for mutiple uses of spices like cinnamon, thyme, sage etc. and they use apple juice or grape juice. i want it to be a straight earl grey mead. i am also not sure about how many teabags to use or how much honey. my thoughts were 2.5lbs honey to 5 teabags and brewing 2 gallons.(5lbs honey 10teabags total) when i brewed my dandelion mead i used about 4lbs honey for 1 gallon and used a baking yeast(which i will use again for this recipe) and it came out considerably sweet.(and delicious) maybe the tea mead will be a little better on the dry side, or i could also add 2 cups sugar. I also have on reserve in my freezer... wild wine berries, mulberries, raspberries, dandelions. i am thinking just brewing in 2 different carboys and then adding a cup of maybe raspberries or the mulberries into just one of the secondaries.

the teabag box says 1 teabag per 8oz. so for 1 gallon that would be 16 teabags. i guess what it really comes down to is how much of a tea flavor do i want. a hint...or for it to hit me? hah i also dont want too much tannin either.(if there is any in earl grey)

any ideas or thoughts about this? has anyone ever tried this or something similar? do the other recipes incorperate the juice for body? and can i go without it???

chickabeelane 08-29-2012 12:53 AM

I would try to brew 4-5 tea bags of earl gray in 2 cups of water and let it steep for at least 5 min then dump the steeped tea into your must. That's per one gallon. This would give you a "good" hint of earl gray. IMHO, I don't think you would want more than that. Earl gray does have tannins btw.

Brann_mac_Finnchad 08-29-2012 07:08 AM

Up to you--I would probably use 8-10 per gallon (steeped)--at least of my favourite brand (Bigelow). What brand are you thinking--it makes a difference.
I would like to state that you can minimize the amount of tannins that come out by brewing the tea for shorter--maybe 3 minutes, and lower temperature water.
I think that you can do without the juice if you want.

gratus fermentatio 08-29-2012 11:04 AM

Why use baker's yeast?

Krausen89 08-29-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickabeelane (Post 4369498)
I would try to brew 4-5 tea bags of earl gray in 2 cups of water and let it steep for at least 5 min then dump the steeped tea into your must. That's per one gallon. This would give you a "good" hint of earl gray. IMHO, I don't think you would want more than that. Earl gray does have tannins btw.

yea that sounds good, yea i was reading it is black tea with other stuff in it so that explains the tannins.

Krausen89 08-29-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brann_mac_Finnchad (Post 4370220)
Up to you--I would probably use 8-10 per gallon (steeped)--at least of my favourite brand (Bigelow). What brand are you thinking--it makes a difference.
I would like to state that you can minimize the amount of tannins that come out by brewing the tea for shorter--maybe 3 minutes, and lower temperature water.
I think that you can do without the juice if you want.

yea i will prob steep for shorter. prob about 3 mins, what do you think 10 per gallon would give me as far as the earl grey taste in the mead. i want it apparent but not to kick me in the face. the brand i will be using is clipper organic earl grey.

Krausen89 08-29-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio (Post 4370316)
Why use baker's yeast?

i have always used bakers yeast. i have tried other yeasts and they work just fine, but i have a ton of red star baking yeast that works just fine also for a medium-sweet mead. i ordered some different yeasts from norther brewer but i will prob end up brewing before they even get here. one thing i do is i put the carboy in some cool water to slow down the fermentation so that there isnt too much of a co2 taste in the mead. ive never had a problem with it.

agent44 08-29-2012 08:22 PM

I've used black tea in a chai tea mead I've made, sorry I haven't tasted it yet so I can't tell you how it is lol, but it has an awesome dark brown color like iced tea, I can't wait, it's almost time to bottle!

Krausen89 08-29-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agent44 (Post 4371717)
I've used black tea in a chai tea mead I've made, sorry I haven't tasted it yet so I can't tell you how it is lol, but it has an awesome dark brown color like iced tea, I can't wait, it's almost time to bottle!

how did you brew it? how much did you use? if you dont mind me asking.

Brann_mac_Finnchad 08-30-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krausen89 (Post 4370532)
yea i will prob steep for shorter. prob about 3 mins, what do you think 10 per gallon would give me as far as the earl grey taste in the mead. i want it apparent but not to kick me in the face. the brand i will be using is clipper organic earl grey.

Not familiar with the brand, can't say...
Try steeping it in 8oz water for the 3 min (like your getting ready to make the must). Add some honey if you need it slightly sweetened. If the flavour is too strong for what you want, use less than the recommended 16 bags per gallon (if you were fermenting full strength tea). Try working it out that way.
Remember that you can always add more Earl Grey flavour by dry hopping the bags in the secondary until it reaches the flavour profile you desire.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:29 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.