Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Dry hopping mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
Jayblefty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Dry hopping mead

I have a 5 gal batch of sweet mead going that I want to dry hop. I have looked around and can't find much info on the subject. I am curious if anyone could offer some insight. I am wondering how much of what type of hops and how long to let it sit on the hops. It is still in primary bubbling away and I would imagine 2oz of cascade hop pellets about two weeks before bottling??? I plan to let this one bulk age till the end of summer so ots no rush. Any info is appreciated, speculation or experience thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Check out this link, and you can use the search function to find a couple of other threads that might help you -- search for 'hop metheglin'

What you propose sounds like it would work fine...I'd do a minimum of 2 weeks...I think I dry hopped my hopped meads for almost a month.

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 02-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #3
Jayblefty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome, thank you!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Bugeaud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Interesting. I always thought a hopped hydromel with some good honey blend (Like maybe half clover honey half orange and lavander??) would be really interesting. Maybe a bit like beer even.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
cyclejones
Recipes 

I've got two hopped batches going right now, i dry hopped in secondary with 2 oz of cascade. watch out for inflating hops if you still have fermentation active. the CO2 gets caught in the hops that rise to the surface and will push out through the airlock if you do not agitate it twice a day for the first week!

Quick Reply