Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Drinking some mead for the first time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 06:01 AM   #11
skou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've had just one taste of commercial Mead, a straight mead from RedStone Meadery. (Side note, I was able to find 19 1 Liter bottles, for 50 cents each. I got the one bottle, to round out my collection. Yes, I know it is only 19 Liters in 5 gallons, but...)

The rest of my Mead tastes, have been either from my own hand, or from people coming into the LHBS, where I work, with samples. (Have I mentioned, I LOVE working at the LHBS?)

steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2007, 12:31 AM   #12
Engelramm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymeadmaker
I'm not far from you, and I'm not sure what all they have at your place, but we, my wife and I, did not like the one you tried, we do like the Chaucer about $10, and the Springhill Harvest mead, made in Springfield, Ky.- $12-$15, another Ky mead made in Nicolasville $12-$15 for a smaller bottle that is not all that, I took it back after a mouthful, did not know you could do that but... anyway the last one I mentioned, I have tried it, I did not buy it, twice more and it is not for us.
I too have tried the Chaucer mead and liked it. Chrisman Mills also makes one but I have not tried it yet (it seemed expensiveand came in a small-ish bottle). Oh, by the way, I'm also in KY.

I made a gallon of plain mead back in January and last week I racked it to a secondary carboy (1 gal). It is starting to clear but the airlock is still bubbling about once every minute. When I racked it, it smelled like pure alcohol. We'll see...sometime around August.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #13
Aelfwyn
Recipes 

Mead's really expensive here in the UK, though there are some really nice versions. My first mead was Lindesfarne mead (which is brewed on the Holy Island not too far away from where I live up North), and that costs about £10 per bottle (that's something like $19-$20, I think.) But the best mead I've tasted is Moniack mead, and that costs something like £15 ($30).

So you can see why I want to brew my own.....

If at first you don't succeed....you need to drink more mead.

Primary: None - thinking about trying an ale.
Secondary: '48 hour' mead experiment
Bottled - ageing: Rose Petal and Elderflower Mead

Drinking: none

Old 03-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #14
Blackbyrd2
Recipes 

I was up in Anchorage, AK, USA a month or so ago, and had the occasion to try a bottle of "English Meade" with a yellow label, and some medieval style lettering. It was pretty good for commercial mead. There is also now a meadery on the Kenai peninsula, near Homer, I think, called Fire Valley or some such. They had about 8 different flavors. (Although I don't think they labelled them as melomels.)
I tried the raspberry, and quite enjoyed it, although I think my own is going to taste at least as good. (I'm currently waiting on a couple gallons of apple (which is a cyser, yes?)

Apple mead, moderate; .5 gal bottled (Dec 05)
Apple mead, moderate; 2.75 gals bottled Apr 06. 1 gal left.
Apple mead, strong; 3 gals racked, turned out great.
B Cherry mead, strong; 1.75 gals bottled Apr 06 .5 gal left
Pomengranate mead, moderate; 3 fifths bottled. (Mar 06) 1 fifth left
Spiced Apple melomel, 3/4 gal, Jul 07
Pom melomel, strong, 3 gals, Jul 07
Peach melomel, 2 3/4 gals, Jul 07

Old 03-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #15
Aelfwyn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbyrd2
I was up in Anchorage, AK, USA a month or so ago, and had the occasion to try a bottle of "English Meade" with a yellow label, and some medieval style lettering........(I'm currently waiting on a couple gallons of apple (which is a cyser, yes?)

That sounds like virtually every bottle of mead in the UK....hehe!

Just a few examples.....

Yip, that's a cyser.

If at first you don't succeed....you need to drink more mead.

Primary: None - thinking about trying an ale.
Secondary: '48 hour' mead experiment
Bottled - ageing: Rose Petal and Elderflower Mead

Drinking: none

Quick Reply