Dolomite to raise pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VCTFernandes

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just had a 1-gallon batch of a pyment made purely of grape juice and honey with a packet of k1v-1116 and a fair dose of nutrient and energizer added at innoculation.
My mistake was that it ended up being a very acidic must (pH = 2.8), the boys got stressed and started producing H2S (that delicious rotten egg smell).

Potassium carbonate is a controlled substance here in Brazil (maybe it can be used to cook meth, or make bombs, i dont know) so I had to improvise. I added around two teaspoons of dolomite, raising the pH to 3.7 and kept degassing to get the h2s out.

Fermentation is almost over and, for now, no off tastes seem to have appeared so maybe it's a useful ingredient for acidic musts.
Anyone tried that before?

Calcium carbonate is generally preferred here in the states, not much potassium anymore although some vintners prefer the latter. dolomite has magnesium in it as well. From what I read (quote from Siebel institute) magnesium in presence of sulfate (from your preservative/Campden) can create a laxative effect. So... just beware how much you use I guess.

Back