Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Didn't use camden tablets or boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #21
GinKings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterRat View Post
As with brewing you ask 4 people their opinion and you will get 4 different ways to get it done.
(Disclaimer: I am not argueing, I am simply explaining where I am coming from!)
I find it interesting you shoot for only 3 pH, that is pretty acidic. In the "Complete Meadmaker" Scramm suggests a pH of 3.8 at the beginning for a good ferment and the Mead Panel from the NHBC in Minnesota suggested 4.0 as a beginning pH. The reason is during lag time the yeast absorbs nutrient and amino acids from the must an the pH drops below 3 and sometimes below 2.5 pH.Studies from Morse and Steinkraus show that optimal pH for mead is 3.7 -4.6, with 3.7 being high enough for yeast metabolism and low enough to retard undesirable bacteria. ( quoted from Complete Meadmaker)
Anyway, that's what I try to follow when I make mead and have not been disappointed since using these methods.
I read this quickly and maybe I missed something, but I have some questions. Where does Goldiggie state that he "shoots for only 3 pH"? Also, Goldiggie suggested 3.2 as an absolute minimum and you are comparing that to what Schramm (not Scramm) and the NHC (not NHBC) suggest as an optimum pH. Isn't that the whole apples and oranges thing? Wouldn't you expect the minimum to be lower than the optimum?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #22
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I've only adjusted the PH on that one batch (hard lemonade). Every other mead I've made has been fine there. So much that I don't even bother to check the PH. I did with that ONE batch because I knew it was probably too acidic to ferment (from what I read of others attempts).

IME, traditional mead recipes, with wildflower honey at least, don't need any PH adjustment. Of course, I do give the yeast plenty of nutrient, degass and oxygenate/aerate.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #23
BitterRat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings View Post
I read this quickly and maybe I missed something, but I have some questions. Where does Goldiggie state that he "shoots for only 3 pH"? Also, Goldiggie suggested 3.2 as an absolute minimum and you are comparing that to what Schramm (not Scramm) and the NHC (not NHBC) suggest as an optimum pH. Isn't that the whole apples and oranges thing? Wouldn't you expect the minimum to be lower than the optimum?
My bad, he did say 3.2. Thanks for correcting my spelling also.
With the amount of time and money spent making mead, beer or wine, I try to aim for optimum.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #24
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

It's advised to not try to increase the PH too much in a solution with the additive I used. I went as far as it said I should, which is why I ended up about 3.2-3.4 (hard to say for certain since I AM color blind).

I might take a PH reading on the next batch of mead I mix up. Will be interesting to see where it's at in the range.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply