Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Did I kill my mead yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #11
Rhys79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I will once it's down under 1.030 and I rack it off the fruit. It'll go into a couple of gallon jugs at that point. I have my choice of gallon jugs, a brew bucket, or 5gal carboy. I prefer to keep fruit in the brew bucket, much easier to clean than the carboys. This is my first mead, and from my reading, other than some differences in the chemical additions, it seemed as though the process was similar to wine, so I wasnt too concerned about the headspace in primary...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
582brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
did you add yeast energizer? honey lacks nitrogen, which yeast need to be healthy. lack of nitrogen will slow fermentation down.
I didn't add the energizer, I thought that the nutrients that came with the wyeast would be enough. I also included some raisins which I thought might provide some nitrogen. There are signs of life though, as of this morning I have bubbles! Yay! Thanks guys!

Old 10-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great! Just don't rely on the airlock as your sole indicator of (my new word here) fermentingness.

I wondered why my airlock wasn't bubbling for 3 days and did a little HBT freakout session of my own -- only to find out the piece that makes it bubble wasn't even IN my airlock and all I had was the housing and lid, so the co2 was just pushing right up the tube and out the top!

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-p...ew-day-195534/

Quick Reply