Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Definition of Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Definition of Mead

I recently posted a question to the Facebook page for American Mead Maker's Association (official group), https://www.facebook...92251727502250/ because I wanted to know what their organization's definition is. Currently they are basing off of honey only and requires that a minimum of 51% of all fermentables needs to come from honey. No other sugar source, such as maple syrup (known as acerglyn), would be considered as a mead unless the minimum amount of fermentable honey is incorporated. I could also see some fruit mead, melomel, being at risk if you do not meet the minimum amount of fermentable honey.

I am interested in your feedback but also encourage you to join the FB group listed above and provide your feedback on the Facebook post I recently started.

Thanks, Sara

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 AM   #2
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

I'm not as liberal as they are with their allowing 49% to come from other sources.

A melomel will have some fruit fermentables but 49% is a lot.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:55 AM   #3
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeast fermented honey and water.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would encourage everyone to review TTB definition of 'honey wine'. They do not call it mead, nor do they reference amount of fermentables which must be derived from honey, BUT if said honey wine has an ACV more than 14% it is not allowable (which I find interesting because most dessert wines need to have a minimum 15% ACV).

Granted, I understand that the majority of us are amateurs and the TTB rules/regs regarding 'honey wine' will mean nothing BUT I think when it comes down to competition, etc., there needs to be symmetry across the industry. This is where the AMMA is hoping to get involved, because mead seems to be the red-headed stepchild of wine. Definitely need help on the mead forefront with the TTB, mead is increasing in popularity.

Scroll down to 24.203.... http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=506cf0c03546efff958847134c5527d3&rg n=div5&view=text&node=27:1.0.1.1.19&idno=27#27:1.0 .1.1.19.10.343.7

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Well personally it doesn't matter to me, being outside the US, but having read the stuff about this AMMA etc, I still question the motivations in whatsisface setting it up.

I could understand if it was a "Professional" or trade thing, but it comes across as wanting to set up rules and/or standards that could be used to push people around or otherwise meddle, in what, for most of us, is a hobby.

If they want more rules, especially rules from state or federal government, I suspect that might be pushing it a bit far.

After all, aren't the rules for competition enough ?

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

amandabab Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
I could understand if it was a "Professional" or trade thing, but it comes across as wanting to set up rules and/or standards that could be used to push people around or otherwise meddle, in what, for most of us, is a hobby.
I don't think they are trying to control people. More like being able to have a commercial product that complies with some impressive sounding set standards and still have almost half of the fermentables be cheaper than honey.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Bloke, bloody obvious start your stir plate on low and slow mate I would like to see a mead organization based more on winemaking side than beerbrewing side to get more flexibility especially in judging events. Using beer guidelines to judge mead doesnt really cut it for us. WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Well personally it doesn't matter to me, being outside the US, but having read the stuff about this AMMA etc, I still question the motivations in whatsisface setting it up.

If they want more rules, especially rules from state or federal government, I suspect that might be pushing it a bit far.

After all, aren't the rules for competition enough ?

Quick Reply