HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Is DAP on it's own enough for this recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
gekko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is DAP on it's own enough for this recipe?

Hi,

I'm a complete mead newbie and want to start two batches tomorrow to compare them. The only difference between the two batches is the yeast.

My recipe:
4.5 liters water
1.2 Kgs honey
5g LALVIN 71B-1122 ... or... LALVIN EC-1118
1 teaspoon of young's yeast nutrient (Diammonium Phosphate Ammonium Sulphate).

My Questions:
1) I have seen comments regarding using FermaidK/O/etc... I can't get access to any of these in the country I am currently in. Are they essential given that I already have the Young's Yeast Nutrient? If yes, how can I compensate?

2) Should I adjust the above recipe for the different types of yeast used?

3) Is it worth staging the addition of the yeast nutrient? I've seen people suggest both staging and having it mixed in with the must.

Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1176 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 3437

You can use dead bread yeast for some of the added ingredient of yeast nutrient. Just boil some bread yeast in a little water & add it to the must; the wine yeast will cannibalize it, gaining B vitamins & such.
Regards, GF.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply