Recipe was simple and designed to finish dry and tart.
1lb of local wildflower honey.
Half a gallon of black cherry juice.
Qt. Of warm water to soften honey and dissolve 1/8 tsp of yeast nutrient and energizer.
Rehydrated 5g of Lalvin 71B.
When temp was right everything was put in a glass gallon jug. Aerated like my life depended on it
Brought to one gallon with more water and pitched yeast.
I had activity within 3 hours of pitching. SG was approx 1.1
Ph was acceptable as well, but don't recall exactly what.
What I found out last night was that sometimes if you add too much DAP regardless of yeast type, gravity, or volume, you can cook the yeast.
They get supercharged on the minerals, metabolically speed up, and then generate so much heat they cook themselves. I suspect this is what actually occurred given how immediate the reaction was. I have used all of these ingredients In the past successfully.
Thanks for the help Arpolis.